OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

? about rail mount for BPS

Started by Jay Longhauser, March 14, 2011, 03:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Longhauser

Im trying to find a rail mount for a browning BPS 12 Gauge NWTF edition to put a red dot on.  The gun is already drilled and tapped, and so far I have been told that Browning is the only company making a rail mout to fit the gun.  I can order one from Browning, but they won't have the rail until the end of April.  I hope to have turkeys on the ground before then. :)  Does anyone know if there is a combo mount that will fit the 12 Gauge Bps and maybe another browning model as well.  Or if the holes on a drilled and tapped BPS are the same configuration as another company so a rail may be interchangable.  Im hoping I can buy something locally at cabelas or Bass Pro shops that will fit but so far I have not found anyone who knows if thats an option.

Thanks

Jay

I hate turkeys

A good gunsmith should be able to modify a base to fit your gun (holes) without having to add any additional holes to your receiver.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

gobbler74

http://www.opticsplanet.net/browning-gold-and-bps-scope-base-12-guage-game-g-matte-12360.html

Same base. Works on either.

browning.com/products/catalog/accessories/detail.asp?value=018J&cat_id=123&type_id=187E
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Jay Longhauser

Gobbler 74, Thanks for the link, I saw that one as well.  Two opinions I got from guys who sell Browning guns and parts  said it wont fit a BPS and one said he thinks it will.  Ill probably end up trying it.  They said the contour is dirrerant on the top of the BPS and the Gold?

Jay

Odessa

Jay,  I called the Browning technical help line a few weeks ago and asked why the Browning base has three screw holes drilled in it and my 12 gauge NWTF BPS only has two tapped holes - I was informed that the Browning base (linked above) is made for both Gold and BPS shotguns in both the 12 and 10 gauges - the 10 gauge guns have different holes.  Now I have not looked at a 10 gauge BPS to verify (but I am looking for one to observe).  The front of the Browning base is relieved so the base fits over the rear-most end of the rib (the part that is screwed onto the receiver).  I am going to pick one up this week and try it out on my 12 gauge BPS - I'll let you know how it works out.  I think you will have about four inches on the base between the two cross slots, so you have a little room to decide where you want a FF2 to fit.  Now if you use some of the other red dot sights - the type with a continuous clamp, there might not be enough length to clamp to - the Browning base only widens to Weaver width at the two slots, it narrows back down in the center - why they did that I cannot fathom.  Their base would also work with Weaver type rings for a regular scope.
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

gobbler74

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Jay Longhauser

Odessa,

I appreciate you taking the time to make your post.  I hope it works for you, and look forward to hearing your results.  I can not figure out why its so complicated to find, buy, and install a rail for a bps.  For Remington, Mossy, ect it was extremely easy to walk into Cabelas and buy what I needed.

Thank you all for your help.

Gobbler, just saw your post, did the washers come with the mount?

Jay

Odessa

Gentlemen, I bought my Browning BPS/Gold/Silver base yesterday.  It comes with six screws, three are longer, three are shorter (relatively speaking) and three lockwashers.  There are no instructions in the box (I would have thought with a base that is used for five shotguns it would have had instructions!).  I plan to mount my base today - will let you know what I how it works out.  The 12 gauge BPS has two screw holes tapped, per Browning those are all the 12 gauge needs, even with a scope mounted on it.  I will be mounting a Bushnell Trophy red dot to try out.  If I like the red dot type of sight I will move the Bushnell to my older turkey gun - a Winchester 1300, and get a Burris FFII or a Leupold Prismatic for my BPS for next year's season.

Ps. Here is a picture of what comes in the mount kit - there are some instructions after all, nothing about the lock washers, but it does tell you the long screws are for a BPS and the short screws are for a Gold.  The washers are cupped, obviously you drop them into the large countersunk screw holes on the top of the mount.  When I get it put together I will take some more pictures.
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

Hognutz

I put that same mount on my BPS 10ga. NWTF. It worked fine. I had a note in the bag of screws that said to use the longer screws for the BPS and the shorter screws for the Gold. I did that, and the screws ran clear through the receiver and hit the bolt. I had to use the short screws to make it work. I mounted an Aimpoint on mine, and had plenty of room to make the Weaver slots work..Good luck and let me know about the screw issue..Mike

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Odessa

I just finished up mounting the Browning Gold/BPS base and a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot sight on my 12 gauge BPS.  I tried the short screws (with the lock washers) first - they were mighty short.  I went back and used the long screws with the lock washers - still had clearance in the interior of the receiver (see bottom picture).

Base mounted on 12 gauge (per Browning the front hole is used only on the 10 gauge model).

Interior view of the receiver with the base mounted using long screws and the lockwashers - as you can see the screw hole still has depth for a few more threads.  You cannot see the rear screw hole, so I couldn't take a picture (you must peer though an opening in the trigger housing with a flashlight) but it looks the same as the front hole.
Archibald Rutledge

Odessa

Finished view with the Bushnell Trophy mounted on the Browning BPS base.  I left the Hi Viz on until I can get the Red Dot zeroed; the Hi Viz is already zeroed and it's too close to opening day to take a chance by removing it.  As soon as I get the Red Dot zeroed I will remove the rear Hi Viz.  One thing I can already tell, the Bushnell is higher and I need to add a little height to the comb (that is okay, the Hi Viz is too low and the stock beats the hell out of my cheek).  Got to work on how to raise the comb first (just wrapped a Bob Allen neoprene cover on too, better but not perfect.

Archibald Rutledge

Jay Longhauser

Thanks for adding the updates .  Last week I ordered the combo for the BPS/Gold from optics world,  it should be here any day to try.  Im looking forward to getting this thing together and dialed in.  Thanks Again guys!

Jay