OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 SM 28" \ Winchester LB #5's

Started by Chilly, March 10, 2014, 07:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chilly

Got a chance to try these out of my new 870 SM this weekend.  I had the forcing cones cut and polished by Rob Roberts and the barrel has not been polished.  I am using a Hevi-Shot Choke (.662)Very impressed with the 3 1/2" Longbeards #5's.  Winchester got it right.  I shot twice.  Below is the pattern at 40 taped yards and I counted 180 in a 10" circle.  I also shot it at 22 yards and the pattern is right at 10" at that range.  The wad will hit the target at 22 yards.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

captin_hook

BandedSpur

darn2ten

tha bugman

yeah these loads are definitely putting some numbers up on the board!!  I got 108 3.5" #4's out of my 835 at 40 yards....and I did not move POI since I have it already sighted in for another load.

Teebugg

Nice combo! Im starting to lean more towards trying these shells!

Crawl79

Shot my 870 with 23" barrel, HV .662 choke, Win LB # 5's

My turkey patterns at 40 yards looked very similar to yours.

Shot one shot in a 10" circle at 40 yards, counted 190 pellets and my pattern was a little high and to left of the circle. If I would have centered 10" circle on the pattern it would have been well over 200 pellets.

Wanted to mention that my rangefinder was not working so I taped the distance to 42 yards but don't think that should have changed the pattern too much.

JuniorPre 360

I like the 5's. But I don't like the 3 1/2 inch shell. I'm too wimpy to handle it I guess. Seems like my steel 3 1/2 has less kick.

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

BigStrutter

I have the same gun and did not get good results. Mine were shooting way high. Good pattern and I'm glad they worked for you. Good luck this season!
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

Chilly

BigStrutter,
My brother has the same gun as I do and his shoots low.  Mine fortunatley hits exactly where I aim.  I have not had good luck with guns shooting straight the past couple of years.  The best I can tell you is to put a set of tru-glo sights on it or maybe a set of williams.  My brother just aims at the top of the head and it usually ends well for him and bad for the turkey.  I like to be able to hold mid neck.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

JuniorPre 360

Quote from: BigStrutter on March 10, 2014, 10:18:15 PM
I have the same gun and did not get good results. Mine were shooting way high. Good pattern and I'm glad they worked for you. Good luck this season!
Did you happen to thoroughly clean your barrel before patterning?

BigStrutter

Quote from: Chilly on March 11, 2014, 07:16:42 AM
BigStrutter,
My brother has the same gun as I do and his shoots low.  Mine fortunatley hits exactly where I aim.  I have not had good luck with guns shooting straight the past couple of years.  The best I can tell you is to put a set of tru-glo sights on it or maybe a set of williams.  My brother just aims at the top of the head and it usually ends well for him and bad for the turkey.  I like to be able to hold mid neck.

I have the Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dots on there. I shot 4 different types of shells and that was the only that wasn't hitting POA. I may try the suggestions some of the members gave on my thread. I got great results with the MagBlends but was hoping to save a little money with Longbeards.

Quote from: JuniorPre 360 on March 11, 2014, 10:50:26 AM
Quote from: BigStrutter on March 10, 2014, 10:18:15 PM
Did you happen to thoroughly clean your barrel before patterning?

I deep cleaned the barrel before patterning.
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

Terry

Nice pattern! I am starting to lean towards trying these with the same gun.