OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 super mag and 3.5 Long Beards

Started by jwhunter, March 05, 2014, 10:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhunter

I bought a Remington 870 super mag 21 inch barrel yesterday, I picked up a jelly head 665. shells are Winchester long beards 3.5 no 6.  I have been reading good things on here about 870's and jelly heads. I am going to pattern it after work today and will upload pictures tonight.

darn2ten

Just a heads up. If your going to use smaller shot, like #6. You will probably get much better results out of the .660 JH, especially with a 21" barrel. I've been there, done that. I never shot the LB's from that combo, but that's what worked best for other lead and Hevi loads for me. I started with the .665 and then went to the .660. I also was shooting a 3" gun, not the 3.5". You may just have to try it, may work good out of yours.

nyhunter

You'll be happy with that combo  :icon_thumright:

I have the same gun but use the .660 jellyhead

d.winsor

I think you have the best set up for #5's, as stated above smaller choke would be better for #6's.  I have shot #5's Lead and .665 since 1992 with 3 870's and had good results.  When I first patterned the guns with #6's and .665, they were always a  little thin, but with these new long beard shells the game may change.  One reason I chose to use #5's was that at 40 yards and using #6's I found shot in the cardboard, never with #5's.   

jwhunter

I can't load the pic from my cell phone. I got 211 pellets at 40 yards. I'm impressed. I'll get a box of 5's and see if it get better! But I'm liking this set up

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase