OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Need help on making a decision, Please help!! (UPDATED WITH PICS)

Started by tjh24, March 13, 2011, 09:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjh24

Please help me decide what to do.  I have a beretta xtrema 2.  Right now I have a bushenell turkey scope on it now.  I am seriously debating putting a mueller red dot on it.  What should I do?  My gun has grooves in it for the scope mounts, but looking at the pictures of the sight, I would have to do something different to mount it.  Anybody know how it would mount to that?  Thanks for the advice guys.

Side view

Top looking down

How the gun looks with the scope on it

sugarray

Sounds like you need to have it drilled and tapped.  Or you could get a saddle mount, that might really make the Mueller sit up high though.

tjh24

Thanks sugurray- I was thinking that I may have to get it drilled.  Thanks for the info.

Skeeterbait

Not that familiar with the Extrema but looking at pictures online I do not see any factory grooves for scope mounting which leads me to think you may already have some kind of aftermarket base on it.  If you could post a picture of the scope mounting on your gun we could better advise you on if the Mueller will fit what you already have.

TauntoHawk

Agreed. If you can post a picture it would help a lot.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tjh24

I got some pictures of it.  They are factory made grooves for scope rings. Let me know what you guys think.

Skeeterbait

Ah yes I see what you mean now.  Similar to how Sako grooves their rifle receivers. Could not see that in smaller pictures I looked at. You need a 5 or so inch piece of picatinny rail and the receiver drilled to accept it.  A weaver rail could also be used but the close spacing of the picatinny slots will give you more option to set the sight where you want it.  A gunsmith is going to have to drill and tap the receiver, should cost well under a hundred dollars to have this done.  Since this is going to be required, I would recommend you seek the advice of a gunsmith before proceeding.  He needs to verify the thickness of the receiver top will accept screws.  Most likely it will.  He should also be able to advise you on the rail.  Your receiver top looks good and flat so it should accept any flat base picatinny rail.  Hole spacing in the rail won't be that important since the gun is going to have to be drilled anyway.  Or there are undrilled rails available called gunsmith blanks that allow the gunsmith to select the screw spacing and drill the rail themselves.  The gunsmith can advise you if this is needed.  Once you have the rail mounted, any weaver or picatinny mountable sight can be used.

Update.  It appears Beretta may make an adapter to do exactly what you are looking for.  I am not sure where you would find one, but take a look at this.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/PROD/beretta-scope-mounts/E00337

This source says it is sold out but it appears this mounts in your receiver grooves and spans them with a rail.  I would recommend contacting Beretta and asking if the E00337 scope base will work with your Extrema II

Jayhawkeye

I just had my Beretta 390 drilled and tapped.  The gunsmith drilled and tapped the receiver to fit a weaver 417M (Mossberg) mount; these holes are also compatible with the 336 marlin base.  I decided to go with the #8-40 screw size.  It cost $50
Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!  Gobble, Gobble, Gobble...  Go KU!!!

tjh24

Thanks Skeeterbait-

That is some really good info.  I will look into and see what I can do.  I just dont know if I need to change it up.  I have a good scope on it and I really dont need a new scope, I just want one!!

BurrisOptics

A no drill or tap option is the SpeedBead.  Not what you were looking for but thought you might want another option.

sugarray

Quote from: BurrisOptics on March 15, 2011, 11:30:52 AM
A no drill or tap option is the SpeedBead.  Not what you were looking for but thought you might want another option.

This is a great option as the FF II is a great sight.  It only has the single 4 MOA dot, but if that is what you were going to hunt with anyway, then this is the way I would go.  This will eliminate a lot of height from the sights and give you a great sight with a great FOV.

Reloader

Quote from: BurrisOptics on March 15, 2011, 11:30:52 AM

Can one install enough spacers to get the SB mount up to a similar height as the 336 mount on top of the reciever?  The SB mount puts the dot too low IMO

BurrisOptics

You can add 3/8" with the risers.  I don't know if that's quite the same as the FF w/ Marlin mount but it would be pretty high.