turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 SM - 3.5" MagBlends

Started by BigStrutter, March 01, 2014, 07:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigStrutter

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm definitely very happy with the MagBlends and can't wait to see them action. Only 26 more days! :happy0064:

But on a side note, I'm still going to retest the Longbeards as per the suggestions when it warms up a little.
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

taylorjones20

I also have a 870 sm and I get the best results with Hevi #7. Shot the magblends and they ok, shot the long beards and was not impressed. Last year I got 331 hits in 10" circle at 40 yards with the Hevi #7 and .660 jellyhead. Pic is on here in a thread I posted last year.

Good luck!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

nothingbutlongbeards

Quote from: goblr77 on March 03, 2014, 03:44:14 PM
That's a good looking pattern. I would rather hunt with the Magblends than the Longbeards any day of the week.

I have never shot a shell as good as the MagnumBlend....

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: nothingbutlongbeards on March 04, 2014, 08:52:57 PM
That's a good looking pattern. I would rather hunt with the Magblends than the Longbeards any day of the week.

Well OF COURSE you haven't!!  Wow!  For real???   ::)
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

d.winsor

That is only the second time I have heard that Long Beards didn't do well.  I have 3 870's and use a .665 on all of them with #5's, they do great.  One is a Supper Mag, I would try the larger target like stated above with the long beards.  In any event you have a turkey killing pattern there.

Spurcollecta

Quote from: nothingbutlongbeards on March 04, 2014, 08:52:57 PM

Lol, I've shot several that were better

owlhoot

Quote from: d.winsor on March 05, 2014, 10:20:13 AM
That is only the second time I have heard that Long Beards didn't do well.  I have 3 870's and use a .665 on all of them with #5's, they do great.  One is a Supper Mag, I would try the larger target like stated above with the long beards.  In any event you have a turkey killing pattern there.
Well here is a third.  Remington 870 SM 26" Polished and deep cleaned.
Longbeard 4 shot .660 Carltons with two shots at 91 and 88 in the 10 at 40 yards.

Longbeard 5 shot .660 Rob Roberts with 117 in the 10 at 40 yards.
Longbeard 5 shot  in a 28" Super X2 and a Supermax choke(indian creek) for 105 in the 10"at 40.
All are 3" shells. Was 55 degrees or so.    Just because it is a longbeard??????
Fed. HW 7 with Carltons .660 is 147 in the 10"
The better patterns came from the Hevi-Tube .662 @ 40 yards. 65 degrees.
LB 4 shot is 137 in 10"
LB 5 shot is 140 -174 in the 10"
LB 6 shotis 189 in the 10
Magblend 3" do 175+ in the 10" with this combo.
Fed. HW 7 do 140+ in the 10".
Hope this helps someone with a few shells and time.

BigStrutter

@owlhoot, how do you like that Hevi Shot choke tube? I was going to buy one at the NWTF show back in February but the sale rep said their truck with the choke tubes was 2 days late so he wasn't sure they would come in. I'm wondering if the .662 would be to tight for my 28" barrel.

owlhoot

Well it is well made , thread fits good.
Shot as good of patterns as any with multiple shells in the 870 posted.
It did well with 3" Magblends in a SBE at 200+ in the ten .
Also did well with 3 1/2" grandslam 5 shot 130  + in the ten.
In a Beretta 3901 it did 150+ with the Magblend 3",  150+ in the ten

nickp

Hmm. I shoot the 870 3 1/2" with a 28" barrel and .665 JH and have gotten incredible results with LB. I'm using the magblend backed with LB 4's in the woods because magblend has a bit wider pattern at 40. The 4s are incredible out past that and my go to for open hunting.

taylorjones20

I changed to a Jelly Head .665 and Long Beard #6's in my 870 SM and now it is my hunting setup.  Very pleased with the results....
Alive only by the Grace Of God

owlhoot

Quote from: taylorjones20 on March 17, 2014, 09:46:48 PM
I changed to a Jelly Head .665 and Long Beard #6's in my 870 SM and now it is my hunting setup.  Very pleased with the results....
Which are ???
Please and thank you.

BigStrutter

Quote from: nickp on March 17, 2014, 07:34:52 PM
Hmm. I shoot the 870 3 1/2" with a 28" barrel and .665 JH and have gotten incredible results with LB. I'm using the magblend backed with LB 4's in the woods because magblend has a bit wider pattern at 40. The 4s are incredible out past that and my go to for open hunting.

Well to be fair I wasn't shooting at a large piece of paper. As everyone suggested I will do that. I picked up some contractor paper at Lowes and will give it another try. They were shooting high on my original target, like almost a foot. Everything else was dead on at 40 so I figured it was the shells. I have the magnum gobble dot sights so I can make adjustments. Hopefully I can get out this weekend and see what happens. I really like the MagBlends but my wallet (and wife..lol) would prefer the Longbeards.