turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 SM - 3.5" MagBlends

Started by BigStrutter, March 01, 2014, 07:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigStrutter

This is my first post and I would like to say what an awesome site this is.
Today I shot the 3.5" MagBlend  and the 3.5" Longbeards #5 and got really poor results with Longbeards. Gun is a 870 SM with a 28" barrel and a Jellyhead .665. Temp was around 55 degrees and was a taped 40 yards. With the MagBlends I got 209 hits in a 12" circle. I know I got a few more numbers with the bigger circle but that's what I had laying around. Apparently my gun likes the more expensive shells...go figure.

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

FttFttVroom!

:z-winnersmiley:  That is a very nice coverage......nowhere for Mr. Tom Turkey to hide there!!!

tomstopper

Gold Spur

:welcomeOG: I believe you have a winner. :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

BigStrutter

Thanks! I was a little disappointed in the performance of the Longbeards but these MagBlends are some of the best shells I've ever used.

mtaylor200

you need to try the Heavy 13 #7

BigStrutter

Quote from: mtaylor200 on March 01, 2014, 09:34:27 PM
you need to try the Heavy 13 #7

I thought about that. I may try the #6 and #7.
3" or 3.5"??

WildSpur

Good deal.   I thought the long beards would pattern good with a 665 and 3.5.  Regardless that's still a great hunting gun.  I shoot the 3.5 magblends out of my 23" sm and a 660 jh.  It's a hunter at 191.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

surehuntsalot

great looking pattern,
:wagon: welcome aboard
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

BigStrutter

Quote from: WildSpur on March 01, 2014, 10:21:42 PM
Good deal.   I thought the long beards would pattern good with a 665 and 3.5.  Regardless that's still a great hunting gun.  I shoot the 3.5 magblends out of my 23" sm and a 660 jh.  It's a hunter at 191.

After all the reading on here and everyone's success with them I thought the same thing. Do you think it's my barrel length? Bad batch of shells?
Every time they shot high, very high. I shot Magblends, Remington Nitros, and Winchester Super X. All those shot dead on. I have the Truglo magnum series gobble dots on the gun and it's dialed in. Like I said it's disappointing because of a lot of people's success and of course the price.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: BigStrutter on March 02, 2014, 08:04:39 PM

After all the reading on here and everyone's success with them I thought the same thing. Do you think it's my barrel length? Bad batch of shells?
Every time they shot high, very high. I shot Magblends, Remington Nitros, and Winchester Super X. All those shot dead on. I have the Truglo magnum series gobble dots on the gun and it's dialed in. Like I said it's disappointing because of a lot of people's success and of course the price.
If you didn't, I'd suggest shooting at a large target such as a sheet of white posterboard.   Then circle the 10 inch portion with the most pellets.  I've found the Long Beard loads don't shoot to point of aim as other turkey loads do and I attribute that to the Shot-Lock resin technology.  I just can't believe your gun/choke combination doesn't throw a wicked 40 yard pattern with the 3.5" Long Beard #5's. :OGturkeyhead:

WildSpur

Yep.  I am betting that you are missing some of your pellets due to the high shooting.   On paper your set up is a real winner.  Also too 40 yards Imo can get tricky if the wind blows just right.  Use big paper.  Before you go chasing pellets at 40 make sure you are dead zero at 20.

Cluck more, yelp less

albrubacker

Think I would try a bigger choke for the LB #5's.
Quote from: BigStrutter on March 02, 2014, 08:04:39 PM

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

davisd9

I would hunt that dog all day long!  Great pattern and it is what I look for.  Nice and even.  Big numbers are not all they are made up to be and 212 is big enough.  Cannot wait to see some harvest pictures!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

goblr77

That's a good looking pattern. I would rather hunt with the Magblends than the Longbeards any day of the week.