OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ended the youth hunt w/ a bang........

Started by Reloader, March 13, 2011, 07:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

Dusty and I had a blast the past couple of days and finally sealed the deal this am.

Saturday we heard 4 birds, 2 way off only gobbled once or twice and two fairly close that gobbled several times on the limb.  We set up on the closest birds, but they shut up when they hit the ground.  We hunted hard all day and only saw two hens.

This morn was pretty exciting as we were greeted with a gobble before daylight not too far from the truck.  We set out for the tom and soon found that it was two as they covered each other up with gobbles on our way to set up.  We slipped as close as I felt comfortable, found a tree, and hunkered down.  The two toms hollered at some tree yelps, so I figured we might stand a chance. Then, I heard the hens :(  Once again they went silent after fly down.  I got them to hammer once in the distance with some cutting, but the ladies didn't want anyone messing with their men. I told Dusty we'd give em a few hours and come back to see if one was lonesome, so we pulled out and headed to another area to listen for a while. 

We decided to set up on the edge of an old highline in an area that usually holds birds and call blind for a while.  After about 15 minutes I heard a faint gobble in the distance.  A few seconds later I let out some cutts and he answered back much closer.  I hit him again and he hammered back about 100yds out.  It wasn't long before we heard footsetps in the dry leaves and he popped out in the open puffed up.  That's the first time I've heard a jake drum and Dusty's first time to hear a bird spit and drum.  He did the dance to about 20yds and then started to get alittle nervous, so I told Dusty to let him have it. I knew it was a jake, but didn't tell Dusty any different and after seeing how excited he was during the show I decided to let him lay the hammer on him. Heck, I was pretty shook too, the ole pen was still shaking when I filled out the tag :D That's what it's all about.

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

chatterbox

Awsome Ronny!
Congrats to you both on a fine hunt! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

guesswho

Good job you two, and congrats to Dusty.

Trophy's are measured in the experience, and I'm sure that one will rank up towards the top for a long time.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

hookedspur

Congratulations fellows on a GREAT HUNT.......
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Jourdan_D

BigHooks

Reloader

Thanks fellas!

QuoteTrophy's are measured in the experience,

Amen brother, that one could have had a rope and wouldn't have been any more exciting.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

AndyH

alloutdoors

ncturkey

Cool story. Congrat's to the young man.

Flydown

Congrats to both of you guys! That smile says it all! :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:

nctrkyhntr

timbrhuntr