OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question about the 336 marlin base.

Started by joshua, March 13, 2011, 05:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshua

I'm mounting this base to use with the FF2.  Gonna use the back factory hole that's already on the gun and have a new hole drilled 1/2 " in front.  My question is do you think using 2 6/48 screws to hold the base to the receiver will be enough or should I get both holes drilled for the 8/40.  I know the difference between the 2 size screws are minimal just wanting to hear what the experts have to say.  The gun is a Rem. 870. shooting 3.5's 2.25 ounce loads.  Thanks josh
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Skeeterbait

Not familiar with the base but you need to use the screws the base was drilled for.  If that requires redrilling the receiver then do it.  You want the screws that fit properly in the holes of the base to prevent shifting.

whiskey

Use the #8 screws. Like mentioned above, if you use a screw smaller than the base hole, then it leaves room for the base to move.

Reloader

I'd go 8-40.  The 6-48 hole can be tapped to 8-40 easily. 

Use red locktite on the base screws and never worry about it moving ;)

Jayhawkeye

Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!  Gobble, Gobble, Gobble...  Go KU!!!

joshua

Thanks everyone for the input.  The gun is at the gunsmith getting drilled for the 8-40.  The main reason I asked this question is that the screws that came with the 336 mount are 6-48. 
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

huntdrut

will the marlin 336 base fit an 11-87?  thanks. 
Remington 1187 - Jellyhead - Nikon Turkeypro

joshua

Quote from: huntdrut on March 14, 2011, 07:58:09 PM
The marlin 336 mount will work on the 1187 but you will need to have 2 holes drilled and tapped by a gunsmith 1/2" apart.  I'm going with the 8-40 as most here have suggested.   :anim_25:

Reloader

Quote from: huntdrut on March 14, 2011, 07:58:09 PM

Just like Joshua said, you have to get the two holes drilled and tapped.  The 336 Marlin is a flat top, so the 336 FF base will work on just about any shotgun as they either have a 1/4-3/8" flat on top or two high(flat) points on each side of the rib recess.  The FF is very light, so it doesn't take much to hold it in place.

Joshua,

Rebelyell(Jody) had the same problem.  They sent him 6-48 screws and it took about 3 trys with Burris to get the 8-40s.  I ordered two last year and they both came with 8-40s.