turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#4 lead

Started by Sparkchaser427, February 23, 2014, 09:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparkchaser427

Got out today and shot some patterns with my new shotgun. The gun is a Turkish made gun that uses the beretta mobil choke. I was shooting a tightwad choke which is a .655. With federal #4 it shot a 48 pellet 10in. And with Remington #4 it shot a 66 pellet 10in. And I also shot one of the Hornady #4 shells through a mod. choke. The numbers wasn't worth counting. I was disappointed with #4 shells and will try #6 tomorrow. I hope for better results.

owlhoot

If you want 100 + in the 10 with the 4 shot lead you have to work for it.
Heavy payloads and big barrels help.
Read a lot on here and look at patterns to give you ideas

:wagon:

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: owlhoot on February 23, 2014, 10:05:52 PM
If you want 100 + in the 10 with the 4 shot lead you have to work for it.
Heavy payloads and big barrels help.
Read a lot on here and look at patterns to give you ideas

:wagon:

Yeap. My 935 does well with 3.5" 4s! It takes a lot of trial and error, a bunch of chokes, and a wide variety of shells to find the right combo.

Punisher

If you can get them, try the Winchester Longbeard XRs. With my 28" Win. Super X2 and a Trulock .680, I am averaging around 130/10" with the 3 1/2" #4s.  With my 22" Win. 1300 and a Indian Creek .660, I am averaging around 105-110/10" with the 3" #4s. 
You might also try some Longbeard #5s if you can get them.  The number #5s have more than enough energy out to 40 yds.  I am not a big fan of #6s even though they put up big numbers.  I know the energy is probably more than adequate out to 40 yds., but I have always shot #4 or #5 shot when shooting lead.

surehuntsalot

that .655 is going to be to tight for #4's
open up your choke to .670-.680 for 4's
don't be afraid to try your full choke,it just might surprise you
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Kylongspur88

My 870 loves 4s???? Not complaining though..

trkehunr93

4's tend to like a more open choke also.  Try one with a larger diameter.  Lot of guys don't waste time with 4's but they are a good load and have plenty of knock down power.  Keep us posted!

L.F. Cox

Quote from: trkehunr93 on March 01, 2014, 07:04:49 AM
4's tend to like a more open choke also.

That's the urban legend we've been told.....I finally graduated from counting pellets holes.
This is the Win. Longbeard 3 & 1/2", 12 ga. #4 shot at 40 yards, SBE old .655 Rhino.

I shot 3 different patterns and they all were left. I later shot it out of my XXX Comp N Choke and the pattern centered up but was a tad low. I expect I'll just keep shooting Win Extended Range #4's/

#4's shoot really good out of my SBE with an older Rhino .655 and also with a XXX .655 Comp N Choke....but if have a good choke most any size shot shoots good.

dawei

Quote from: Sparkchaser427 on February 23, 2014, 09:48:55 PM
Got out today and shot some patterns with my new shotgun. The gun is a Turkish made gun that uses the beretta mobil choke. I was shooting a tightwad choke which is a .655. With federal #4 it shot a 48 pellet 10in. And with Remington #4 it shot a 66 pellet 10in. And I also shot one of the Hornady #4 shells through a mod. choke. The numbers wasn't worth counting. I was disappointed with #4 shells and will try #6 tomorrow. I hope for better results.
FWIW, I use Winchester® Supreme® and Double-X® in a 20ga Mossberg® and they kill Turkeys just fine. I have never required a 2nd shot when using #4 Pb in 16, or 20ga; and I killed my first Gobbler w/#4 Pb way back in 1978. Hope this helps.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

d.winsor

If you don't want to do a lot of work and spend a lot of money try winchester Longbeards XR #5's.  Out of a .655 at 40 yards I have heard a lot of guys rave about them.  Guys that count holes.  Although I am partial to .665 choke for #5's out of a Winchester or an 870.  I don't know what kind of gun you shoot, but like I said out of a .665 they would be a one time cheap way to test and odds are more than likely would work out for you.  They also have longbeards in #4's, for that you would have to buy a more open choke than the one you have, as stated earlier.

Sparkchaser427

I picked up a box of the long beards in #5. Haven't had a chance to shoot them yet but will let you know.

Sparkchaser427