OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

VA Report

Started by mossybird, February 22, 2014, 08:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skimerhorn

Didn't go out in the rain today. Hopefullfy the warm weather coming will crank them up.

jonhaga

Here in southern VA their gobbling decent. In the last week I've seen several strutting with small groups of hen, some in large groups and even saw 5 longbeards still together??? 

forcercon1

I'm also in Southern VA. I'm seeing birds but they just aren't vocal. It seems over the past few years they have become less vocal during the Spring. The hunting pressure has not increased on the property I hunt as it's private land. However, the Yote population / pressure has increased. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Has anyone else had this happen, more Yotes, less gobbling?

As a side note, the bird population still seems good.

mossybird

Going out whenever my car gets out the shop. Probably Tuesday or wendsday. Will give an update.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: forcercon1 on March 30, 2014, 10:44:42 AMHowever, the Yote population / pressure has increased. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Has anyone else had this happen, more Yotes, less gobbling?

As a side note, the bird population still seems good.

Bingo! Also alot more house dogs running to every gobble they hear and chasing them around through the woods.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

A turkey has to gobble to breed. 

Some of the most turkey rich lands in this country are loaded with coyotes so it is possible for the two species to comfortably co-exist and thrive. Coyotes are also opportunistic feeders and kill many of the turkeys' most staunch predators(raccoons, opossums, skunks, etc) and research is indicating that coyotes are not very successful in killing our beloved quarry. IMHO, a lot of people make excuses formulated around the coyote theory but gobbling has attracted hunters and other predators for hundreds of years.  Evolution takes time and coyotes are not going to be the catalyst that triggers decreasing gobbling activity.

What I think is happening is a shift in the population, where gobblers now have more hens than ever and simply have to gobble less until they lose them all. Southern turkey killers have dealt with this for years and have learned to hunt "quiet birds". You just have to scout more and become a more multi-dimensional turkey hunter.

I have listened in central va and northern va this week and they are gobbling very well on the tree until 10-15 minutes after flydown.

All are accompanying ALOT of hens (10-20) and will be tough to hunt on youth day unless you're in tight to the roost or sitting on a travel corridor/food source that they are using regularly.
I suspect there will be some subordinate birds who have recently been displaced that will gobble well all the way to the call for the kids tomorrow, as well.
Goodluck to all those guiding kids in the am.

forcercon1

The flood gates are open it seems.... I took my son this morning and we heard 6 birds gobbling on the roost. They didn't gobble once off the roost.

We later saw 7 gobblers in a field with 8 hens. In another field we saw 2 gobblers with no hens but they wouldn't answer a call. It seems in my area some are still flocked up and with hens. The good thing is, the population still looks healthy :).

Selluwud

April 5th, 1 week before season opens, set up and scouted two big Toms fighting over the hens. Couldn't see who won, they wandered off into the woods after 15 minutes still going at it. I will be back next Sat. AM to lessen the competition> LOL
5/4ths of people don't understand fractions

skimerhorn

I hope they start breaking up soon. I'm not much on hunting quiet birds.