turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

VA Report

Started by mossybird, February 22, 2014, 08:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossybird

Went out this morning to check trail cams and listen for a gobble. Heard one gobble about 300 yards from where i was in a creek bottom. Went down and pulled a couple cards and as I was walking out at about 7 I heard one fly down. Couldnt catch what it was. Two months away!  :icon_thumright:

forcercon1

I'm in Southern VA, and have not had the opportunity to listen as of yet, but hope to change that this weekend. Anyone hearing birds?

appalachianstruttstopper

Earlier this week before the cold front hit seen a field full of hens with 2 gobblers and 2 jakes strutting. Toms where gobbling at cars going by and chasing jakes and hens. Got me the fever.

forcercon1

That's great! What part of VA are in you, if you don't mind me asking?

turkey_slayer

There gobbling a little on the roost. Haven't heard any on the ground. Big flocks still but break up should be within the next 10-14 days.

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: forcercon1 on March 14, 2014, 09:12:40 AM
That's great! What part of VA are in you, if you don't mind me asking?

Blue Ridge pkwy N of NC. Birds I seen earlier where in foothills S of Galax/Hillsville.

skimerhorn

Saw one strutting around 2 hens in goochland today

forcercon1

I went out listening this morning and expected the morning sun to be met with lots of gobbling.... But, was I wrong. The temps were in the low 40's, clear sky and birds singing but no turkeys gobbling.

I did see 2 single gobblers, and 1 pair later in the day.

wvboy

I went Saturday morning before the snow.. heard one give 3 gobbles on the roost.. and saw a different Strutter in a field with 5 or 6 hens..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

turkey_slayer

Few gobbles at most on the limb and none on the ground. Seeing more strutting and flocks starting to bust

forcercon1

Anybody hearing anything? I'm in South Eastern VA., and I have seen the big groups starting to break-up but no gobbling at this point....

skimerhorn

Goin out to listen in the morning in central va, will post what I see. I haven't heard one gobble yet, but saw a strutted last sat.

skimerhorn

Got out this morning and checked a new spot, heard one gobbling pretty good. He would fire back at the owl every time. First gobble I heard was at 6:53 and he prob gobbled 10 times over the next 15 min. Never saw any turkeys on the ground, except a single hen in a field on the way home.

forcercon1

Thanks for the update. I didn't hear anything this morning, but saw a few birds at a distance.

forcercon1

Youth day is almost upon us and I'm still not hearing anything to speak of. Most of the large flocks are breaking down it seems, but I'm only hearing a sporadic gobble on the roost. What's going on in other places of VA.? I'm not looking for any inside secrets   :help: I'm just wondering if my area is starting slow this year....