OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

.640 choke for lead

Started by EDP1, February 15, 2014, 09:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDP1

Thinking of getting me a Carlsons .640 choke for my new gun. It uses the Mobil choke system. Has anyone tried a choke this tight and what was the outcome. All I shoot is lead and most is #6.

scdxt

I have a carlsons .640 for my remington 21" barrel. It shoots lead ok but i think it blows my patterns a little. Im getting best patterns with .655-.660 but thats a standard bore gun. Most benelli beretta barrels are small bore and like to choked harder. I shot a .655 jellyhead in a stoeger m2000(same dia. barrel) last year and did 150s in 10" at 40 with 3" turkey thug 6s. I think you would be best with a .650 but you never know till you try and those chokes are great for $26. And they are USA made........Hope this helps

d.winsor

years ago I tried a .640 and my main pattern danced all around figured it was choked too tight.  now I shoot #5's with a .665 briley straight rifled choke.  Winchester supremes (black shell).  I have a 3.5 and a 3 inch 870 that are super tight patterns.  I just got a SX3 NWTF and it has a .655 choke in it, I bought a .665 briley for it too.  I haven't patterned it yet but I think a .655 choke would be a little tight for #5 shot.  Briley says if it doesn't work out I can return it within 30 days.  Also recently I heard that .660 to .670 were best size chokes for #5 lead shot

DerekDixon

I have some .640 chokes that are custom that I used for card shoots. I have found that the smaller shot does better than the bigger shot. #6 is the largest that I would shoot out of it.