OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Speed Bead - Stock Mount or Rail Mount

Started by huntdrut, March 12, 2011, 05:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntdrut

:hello99:

Decided I'd like to try a speed bead.  I have a Remington 1187.  If you were me, would you go for the stock mount or a rail mount on the magazine?  I've seen the video of the stock mount process and feel I can handle that (using a dremmel to score the stock) and I'm OK with that.  Honestly, my only reservation on the stock mount is my 3 1/2 mags really pack a wallop and I dont want the stock mount speed bead up my nose at the shot.  ha ha.  I think the stock mount will provide the best field of view, especially if I decide to leave it on for clays or waterfowl.  The rail mount looks cleaner, but my receiver is not drilled or tapped for a rail.  If I go with the rail, what one is recommended?.  I don't know much about Weaver vs. Picatinny, etc.  I'm alittle nervous about drilling and tapping the receiver, unless I have a gun smith do it.  If I go with the rail and decide to remove it for waterfowl, do you guys just reinstall the screws in the holes in the receiver or use some type of plug?  Just thinking out loud.  Thanks for any feedback.  
Remington 1187 - Jellyhead - Nikon Turkeypro

CPage

I had a speedbead on my 870.  I turkey hunted with it last year and everytime i shot i would always have my head as far back on the stock as possible and it wasnt very comfortable.  I was shooting 3.5" mag blends and i didnt want to get slapped in the face.  Needless to say i switched to a 336 mount for this year.  If you were only clay and wing shooting the speedbead would be awesome, but i had the protector on mine and i was always nervous it was gonna hit me.  Everytime i shot a turkey last year i found myself worried more about getting hit in the face then i did on focusing on the actual shot, so for that reason i went with the 336 mount.  Now i can shoot in comfort.  You can get a weaver rail and picatinny mounts will fit it.  Weaver makes a one piece and two piece rail you can get for your 1187.  The two piece will give you a cleaner look, but you would only be using one of the two mounts.  You could also use the 336 mount as I did.  Its just up to you what you think looks or would work better for your situation.  If your handy you can drill and tap your receiver yourself.  I did mine myself and it was easy just take your time and measure correctly and you should be fine.  You will need to have a drill press handy though.