North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hey There From Upstate SC

Started by SCGobbler, February 13, 2014, 09:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCGobbler

Hello,

I'm one of the new members this year.

My name is Walt Whitman and I am from South Carolina.  I am a self-taught turkey hunter with about 12-13 gobblers under my belt.

Started turkey hunting in 1989 and used primarily mouth calls and a box call at the time; didn't really know what I was doing so it took me about 6 years to finally kill one.  Once I had one under my belt, I was hooked!

I am a husband and father of 3 (12 year old, 10 year old, 5 year old.)  They keep me pretty busy.  The oldest doesn't have any interest in the outdoors, my son in the middle is my right hand man when it comes to hunting, and my youngest... well, my wife likes to say we are OVERLY blessed!  ;)  I have a feeling she will want to go hunting as well one day.

I hunt mainly a hunting club lease and a small 200 acre spot in the upstate my dad as rights too.  I have been toying with the idea of public land, but just haven't since I have access to my hunt club lease and the family lease.  I look forward to trying to help you guys out this Spring and spending time with my boy.

The outdoors are very important to me and I am spending as much time in the woods as I can to insure that the tradition is passed on.

God bless and let's roll some heads!

Walt Whitman
The SC Gobbler
James 1: 2-4
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

JVA54

Walt good to have you on the team this year.  My name is John Aud and I live in southeast Illinois, did you get the ice storm where you live?

davisd9

Glad to have you on the team.  Hope the weather has not been too bad on you and your family.  Today is the first time I have gotten out since Wednesday morning.  We just got a bunch of snow in Catawba with it freezing at night.  Seems like that is the same here at work in Rock Hill.

We should get together for lunch or something one day and talk some turkey.  May could even ride over to the forest or somewhere to do a hunt. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SCGobbler

Quote from: JVA54 on February 13, 2014, 10:31:54 AM

Walt good to have you on the team this year.  My name is John Aud and I live in southeast Illinois, did you get the ice storm where you live?

We did get the storm... The kids loved it, but I am glad after being cooped up for 3 days that we can finally get out.  I could get out fine, but there was no need as there was nothing open.

Nice to meet ya!
The SC Gobbler

—Archibald Rutledge

SCGobbler

Quote from: davisd9 on February 14, 2014, 07:55:13 AM
Glad to have you on the team.  Hope the weather has not been too bad on you and your family.  Today is the first time I have gotten out since Wednesday morning.  We just got a bunch of snow in Catawba with it freezing at night.  Seems like that is the same here at work in Rock Hill.

We should get together for lunch or something one day and talk some turkey.  May could even ride over to the forest or somewhere to do a hunt. 

That sounds like a plan right there!  Would love to catch up with ya.  Maybe meet for lunch or breakfast one morning in Rock Hill.

You hearing anything yet?  I haven't been out just yet.  Waiting to get my refund check back so I can write a check to my hunt club.
The SC Gobbler

—Archibald Rutledge

WV Ridge Reaper

Welcome to the team!!

Sent from West By God Virginia.

davisd9

Quote from: SCGobbler on February 17, 2014, 10:17:30 AM
Quote from: davisd9 on February 14, 2014, 07:55:13 AM

That sounds like a plan right there!  Would love to catch up with ya.  Maybe meet for lunch or breakfast one morning in Rock Hill.

You hearing anything yet?  I haven't been out just yet.  Waiting to get my refund check back so I can write a check to my hunt club.

Let me know what works for you. I am going back to work Monday after being off with the baby. My lunch is 12 -1 and am available Saturdays.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

turkeykiller22

Nice to have you on the team! I saw your instagram message the other day, and i tried to reply... Looking forward to seeing your pictures from this coming spring!!

-Good luck!
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/