turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Public land out west

Started by matchbook454, February 11, 2014, 08:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matchbook454

I've been thinking about hunting public land out west in states such as KS, NE, SD, and possibly OK, and WY.  Coming from north central IL, I have a bit of skepticism.  In 2010 while gun hunting deer on public land (Goose lake Prairie/ Heideke lake), my partner was shot in the leg by another hunter.  Thankfully it just grazed him and he didn't even need to see a doctor and only needed a band aid.  Talk about lucky!  Anyway, besides crowding and safety concerns, I would like to know the quality of hunting that exists in some of these states on public land.  Don't worry, I'm not asking for specific areas, just what a guy can expect.  I know that good hunting can be had without an outfitter and even having to spend an extra couple of days to fill a tag isn't a bad thing (more time away from work!)

jblackburn

A little homework can pay off big in KS and OK.  My advice is to avoid the first weekend on public land like the plague in both states!  KS has a cool walk in program where landowners lease hunting to the state, so there are small to large pockets all over the state with birds.  Western OK has a lot of birds, and it is not uncommon to knock on a door and get permission where there are lot of birds.  Don't be surprised to hear "Kill all the D@mn things" in some areas the winter flocks can be destructive to crops and hay.

Good luck!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

hotrod3h

Hunting public land in the west is far different than the east in my opinion. There's more space to roam around. I don't have a lot of experience hunting public land in the east. I have hunted public land in SD, NE, and NM. Been on birds in all those places. SD actually called in 3 birds in different areas in one morning before the situation was right and then it was 3 cobblers together. That was public but I had a local with great knowledge that helped me. No competition at that time in that area. NM is fabulous I believe. There is so much land to hunt almost unbelievable and the birds are there. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to NM in a heartbeat and actually look forward to it.

I would strongly recommend hunting public land out west. Best of luck. Any more questions ask and if I can help will try.

matchbook454

Thanks guys.  Going to be driving to OK and if I'm done early I might check out some wiha in KS on my way back.  Probably won't hunt due to time, but at least check out some areas for next year.

ksgoosekillr

cracks me up that people consider Kansas "west" lol 

we have a large population of birds and an even larger population of hunters. Some of the best turkey callers I have ever heard here in Kansas  :TooFunny:
you have to put in some serious miles and footwork to locate birds on WIHA and when you do I will bet you the locals will be right there with you. however some of my favorite spots are WIHA wheat fields that border a private roost. if I was driving here from another state I would start at the public ground surrounding a reservoir and drive around in the evenings stopping and calling to locate a roost. be there in the am and close the distance.