turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SP-10 stock conversion to thumbhole

Started by Basser69, February 08, 2011, 12:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basser69

I had posted this before but I figured I would repost due to the crash.

I bought a 1187 thumbhole stock off the Remington close-out site. rebored the threw hole to 3/4" and shazam. A thumbhole stock for $29 plus shipping. I know that the camo dont match but I have not had a turkey complain yet. Here is the link to the site:
http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com/partsPaging.aspx?layout=0&number=3&catalogid=1&categoryid=3586&topcat=1038

Here are the before and after pics:

There is a slite issue with where the stock meets the receiver:

pullit

wish I had seen this before I ordered my stuff from the Remington site. I like the looks of your rig.

Basser69

Thanks Pullit. I had posted it on the board before the crash but I am sure it had been pushed way down the board.

pullit

can you just do a little work on the inlet on the stock and make it fit better?

Basser69

Quote from: pullit on February 08, 2011, 10:44:32 PM
can you just do a little work on the inlet on the stock and make it fit better?

I am sure I could if I could find my dremel but most of my stuff is packed up in storage due to having a house on the market for sale. Need one outside of B'ham Ala.? It would not take much to make the stock look like it came from the factory but for 29 bucks, I can live with it for this season. I am sure a piece of neoprene as a washer would be a quick fix.

I hate turkeys

With a little inletting you can get a good fit. I tried posting but the files is to big. If you look where the action spring tube goes into the receiver you'll see you need to open the stock up a little there and where the trigger guard meets the stock. You'll like the thumbhole stock.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

I hate turkeys

The first thing I should have said was Basser was a big help when I did mine.
Elmier Keith

4nolz2

I did the same thing and posted about it last year (thread gone)-all I did different was to put a bead of silicone in the void.

Basser69

I remember that post of yours. Please post up some pics of the finished stock. Inquring minds want to know. Me being one of them. Heck, this is show and tell

I hate turkeys

Here's mine.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Elmier Keith

horsedoctor

I bought the same stock for my SP-10 and it was a perfect fit. No modifications at all, except a different recoil pad. Buy a "grind to fit" one. The one Remington sells for that stock costs way more than the stock.

Basser69

Ok guys, the ones of y'all that have change stocks, which recoil pad did you go with? I have been looking at the limbsavers but I am not sure which slip on to get. I only have two weeks till the season opens and I need to get busy. Thanks!

I hate turkeys

I'm using the one off the orginal stock it's not bad and cheap too. I do love a Simms however I'm not sure how it would fit due to the check rest. The Simms slip-on did tame that BPS 10 of mine and that dog barked.
Elmier Keith

Basser69

Thanks, "I hate" I never thought about pulling off the original from the walnut stock that came on the gun. Kind of hard but it will work. I guess the 72 pounds that I am toting will make up the difference. Thanks for the tip on it.