turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

turkey calls

Started by redrod14, March 12, 2011, 08:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrod14

I wanted to know what kind of call would be best for a first time turkey hunter? Where is the best sight to here and learn how to call?
Thanks in advance Rod

drum817

In my opinion a high quality push pin call would be the easiest to learn on , then a Box call  , followed by a pot call.   I would also suggest go ahead and start working on a mouth call because this will be your biggest friend when it comes to closing the deal and it offers hands free operation so you can keep your hands on the gun.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

gunnerj

Quote from: drum817 on March 12, 2011, 09:50:55 AM
In my opinion a high quality push pin call would be the easiest to learn on , then a Box call  , followed by a pot call.   I would also suggest go ahead and start working on a mouth call because this will be your biggest friend when it comes to closing the deal and it offers hands free operation so you can keep your hands on the gun.
:agreed: That's how I started 20+years ago.

redleg06

another vote for the push pin. This is all I carried for the first 5-10 years I hunted....(I didnt know anyone else that turkey hunted and before the internet got me buying the latest and greatest.)

A word to the wise....If you think you'll eventually want to use a mouth call I'd go ahead and get one and start practicing with it now so you can get proficient with it for the future.  Take your push pin, box, or slate call with you until you get good with the mouth call because they do take a little while to get good at but can be a great tool when you're good with them.

TauntoHawk

while pot calls are quite as easy as box and push pin they aren't overly difficult to lean in a short amount of time and are great for producing all sounds and different tones and volumes.

there are plenty affordable ones that sound great and there are tons of online resources that can be used to learn and master calling, from instructions on how to use each type of calls to audio of live hens. search youtube and google
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

redrod14

Quote from: moore on March 12, 2011, 10:32:10 AM
:agreed:
what was that sight you told me to go to learn how to call? I accidentally deleted the message

bowhunter84

:agreed: and  :welcomeOG:

ElkTurkMan

A push pin is great, another good choice for a first time caller, is the good old Lynch Fool Proof box, it's tried and true!

cahaba

I stll keep a push pin in my arsenal. Some days the birds love them.

Reloader

The old Lohman pump action yelper was the easiest call for a beginner IMO.  You may still be able to find one.

Push pin's are easy as well, but some sound like a sick hen.  A box call isn't very difficult if you practice a while.

Hootowl

You deffently want to learn the Mouth Call, maybe this year will be to late but start now and you never know, you may be a Natural, But a Push Pin type call will be a Good Start. Listen to a CD and try to copy the calling. There are so many out there, Knight and Hale--Primos----ect. Good Luck and stay with the Calls

Hoot

TNhunterKMC

Here's a question - is there really any high quality push pin style calls.  I haven't found one yet that sounds anywhere near as good as a descent box call.  IMHO - skip the push-pin and jump straight in with a box call or pot friction call.

dodger

get a good slate call... its very forgiving and makes great sounds in the woods, forget the push pin call... I've never liked the push pin calls....

joshua

Good advice.   :anim_25: this spring
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

bird

I too agree with a push-pin being the easiest call to learn on and to use.  But for quality sound get a good wooden one.  The plastic push-pin's just don't do it in my book for sound quality.  After that I would suggest going with a slate pot call as the next easiest turkey call to learn and use.