OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NEW MAG BLENDS YUCK!!!

Started by Rem Man, February 04, 2014, 11:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem Man

Hello guys i wanted to take some time to let you know about my experience with the new mag Blends 3' I went to the range today, i live in Pa. and it was 20 degrees! i know not good shooting temp! but wanted to try the new shell. I bought 2 boxes at Gander Mountain not knowing about the wad change until i seen the post here. I was shooting a Stoger M3000 with a .650 Sumtoy Choke at 42 yds. i shot 2 old Mag Blends and got 194 on the first shot and an even 200 on the second, this is usually what this gun does with this load. I then shot the new mag Blend and got 98 on the first shot and an even 100 on the second. I was shooting a bead and this was ranged with a rangefinder. As said i know this is not the best temp by any means but this is crazy!!! I will no longer buy these shells due to the fact i can get this easy with cheap lead. Thanks for reading!

SKFOOTER

Please post the Lot # of those new ones, Rem.  :OGturkeyhead:

gophert

Welcome to the world of Hevi!!!!!!

Rem Man

I guess these manufactures never heard the saying IF ITS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!!!!! my buddy just bought 10 boxes and has similar results with a Rem 870 and a Benelli, he is not happy to say the least! I will look at my lot numbers when i get home and post them.

gophert

Quote from: Rem Man on February 04, 2014, 12:00:09 PM
    I guess these manufactures never heard the saying IF ITS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!!!!! my buddy just bought 10 boxes and has similar results with a Rem 870 and a Benelli, he is not happy to say the least! I will look at my lot numbers when i get home and post them.

The problem has to do with internal component costs.  With these companies, profit is the name of the game.  If they can save on a wad here are there, they are willing to do so.  We are in the minority as far as knowing exactly what our gun will do with each load.  The joe blow public just throws in their full choke guns and heads to the woods. 

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

870-Wingmaster

Is this only for the Mag Blend or for the HEVI-13 also?

Rem Man

Lot Number #201411 these were bought at Gander Mountain, I heard that this wad is in all the Turkey Ammo that Hevi 13 makes but not for sure.

R AJ

This, as pointed out previously, has happened before with H-13. They make a good shell , people start buying and then they slip the finger to ya. Even H-13 went to H-12 or less perhaps?
When I first got into the H-13 20 gauge they changed up the shell without anyone knowing about it. What was fairly common to get 120-130 turned into 80-90 or so with the same choke/ gun/ etc.

They have changed fillers to bird seed, wads, whatever, and now they have apparently screwed up the Mag Blends. They have a new kid on the block with the Win LBXR  and perhaps assumed that since Win was getting out of the HTL turkey loads that they could have their way with us turkey hunters. Will we see a lead shell possibly winning the Still Shooting Contest this year? Stay Tuned.

tnturkey

I got two old boxes I will shoot them out and may buy a new box just to see if they shoot ok if not ill make the switch to nitros exclusively.

Philippe

Go get yourself a box of the new Winchester Longbeards and watch your numbers jump :funnyturkey:

pdaugherty

It seems like every year someone is making the claim that HEVI-Shot and other companies change the wads, change the buffer, change etc.... I'm just curious as to were this info is obtained from? Do people cut open last years shell and this year then compare or is there someone on the "inside" that's feeding this information to everyone on these forums. Just curious cause I never seem to have a problem with my shells and year after year I shoot the same load. Just my opinion

reynolds243

if they do change the wad i would think it still could shoot as good as last year just may need a different choke or construction.....the new wad may just like something different.  I would doubt it just goes from great to total sucking. the old may like the 650 sum toy but the new may somehow like the 660 sum toy who knows till tested.

R AJ

Quote from: pdaugherty on February 04, 2014, 03:50:39 PM
It seems like every year someone is making the claim that HEVI-Shot and other companies change the wads, change the buffer, change etc.... I'm just curious as to were this info is obtained from? Do people cut open last years shell and this year then compare or is there someone on the "inside" that's feeding this information to everyone on these forums. Just curious cause I never seem to have a problem with my shells and year after year I shoot the same load. Just my opinion

They have dissected , weighed drams of powder, looked at fillers, weighed shot, separated shot sizes within a certain size classification , etc. to obtain this information. So if you were getting 300 in the 10 and it is now a measly 150 you most likely wipe out another bird. H-13 has messed with the shells before and you can bet your best call on that one.

drum817

Quote from: RAJ on February 04, 2014, 03:56:15 PM
Quote from: pdaugherty on February 04, 2014, 03:50:39 PM

They have dissected , weighed drams of powder, looked at fillers, weighed shot, separated shot sizes within a certain size classification , etc. to obtain this information. So if you were getting 300 in the 10 and it is now a measly 150 you most likely wipe out another bird. H-13 has messed with the shells before and you can bet your best call on that one.

:popcorn: :popcorn:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"