Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What calls are you using? New or Old?

Started by davisd9, January 30, 2014, 01:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Since we are still waiting for the spring to get here I figured we might as well try to distract ourselves from the wait.  What calls are you planning on using this year?  Any new ones or you just sticking to your old faithful?  Trying a new type of call?

Personally I have a few new calls that I am pretty excited about using.  I also have a few old faithfuls that has yet to have another call beat them out of the vest.  Some of my old faithfuls are my Southland Slate that I use a hickory, pecan, and monkeywood striker one, my Lancaster Purpleheart over poplar box, HS Strut Black Widow Glass call with monkeywood and purpleheart striker, XT Riot and Havoc mouth calls, Billy Buice Osage trumpet with #4 mouthpiece, and Cane Creek CC Smoker mouth call.

Here are a couple new additions:

First is a glass call with a monkey wood striker that I cannot wait to get in the woods.  It has rasp and turnover like a box call:

A Mark Sharpe wingbone that has killer clucks. It has hen bones for the mouthpiece and center but a young gobbler bone for the bell.  It is stained to give it an older look:

A Charlie Hudson Trumpet that just sings, it is Lignum Vitae with a Staghorn mouthpiece:

A MKW Trumpet that sounds better than it looks if one can believe that, cocobolo with a buffalo horn mouthpiece.  It was actually used by Mr. Williams and he killed a bird with it:

Finally a Lancaster Jatoba over holly box call that I am still anxiously waiting to get.

I will rotate the trumpets/wingbone as I hunt to carry a couple different ones with each trip.  Really looking forward to the season and I wish it would hurry and get here.

What calls are you looking to use?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

MKMGOBL

Nice looking calls davisd9 :icon_thumright: I have no photos of mine but I can once I get back from of road-trip this weekend. 

Always in my vest:

Larry Gresser (Prairie Game Calls) = copper pot, one sided hen box , Larry's favorite box
Andy Kaiser (Kaiser Kalls) = slate pot, glass pot, copper pot
Bill Baublit = aluminum pot
BlueMTChuck Custom = wingbone call
My own mouth calls (Tooky River Calls) = All of them

Locator calls always in my vest I use when not using my own voice for locating:

Faulk = Crow Call C-50
Primos = Power Crow 330
HS Strut = Palmer's Wood Hoot Tube
Penn's Woods = Woodpecker / Peacock Call 9880
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

JVA54

I will be using the calls I have. May order a couple of box call kits for something to do till it's time to hunt. The last two years I made some pot calls from kits for me and my son's and they didn't turn out to bad.

Turkeykiller12

I'll be using Legacy mouth calls maybe one or two of scott ellis' calls. I won a Facebook contest he was having and included in the prize pack were 3 of his calls. I'll also use an assortment of pot calls and a box call.

davisd9

Quote from: Turkeykiller12 on January 31, 2014, 07:39:24 PM
I'll be using Legacy mouth calls maybe one or two of scott ellis' calls. I won a Facebook contest he was having and included in the prize pack were 3 of his calls. I'll also use an assortment of pot calls and a box call.

Love the legacy triple bypass! Legacy Game Calls is about 10 minutes from my house. Congratulations on the win from Scott Ellis!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

trkehunr93

I'll be using the same old calls I have always been using.  Only new addition will be the mouth call Drew is sending all team members that are interested.  Think I ordered the ghost cut, I got the Able Assassin last year and really like it.

bamagtrdude

I'm checking out some new stuff for this season, but for the past several years, here's my set of calls I've used inter-mixed through the season:

Slates:
- Billy White Raspy Slate & Lohman Thunderdome Crystal -- used with a mix of hickory, purple heart, and an acrylic striker that all came with my Billy White call
Boxes:
- Remington Magnum Strutter & custom cedar one-sided a guy locally made
Mouth:
- Woodhaven Red Wasp
Locator:
- Faulk's Walnut Crow Call
Gobble:
- Knight & Hale Hale Fire (added last year)

That's pretty much it.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

turkeykiller22

My Halloran pot call broke, so I bought a glass over cherry by Jimmy Schaffer... and WOW is all I can say. and a Hooks aluminum

Mouth calls - Hooked, Assassin, Trinity, and Batwing, all of them I make.

Crow Call - Buckner hedge

Box Call - One that I sell, Paduak and zebra wood

Owl Call - Natural Voice
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

eddie234

When i first started turkey hunting i had all mass produced calls. Over the last few years I've replaced them with some better custom calls. I have woodhavens alum, crystal, slate and some mouth calls, ive got a custom ceramic, an ss field grade box. And a few other calls. I dont have a whole collection because i would get confused as to which ones id want to carry. Lol.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

davisd9

A box I have been waiting on is being shipped this week. It is Jatoba/holly. My crow call is a ps Olt. Planning on picking up a houndstooth hooter in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk