turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help sighting in red dot

Started by JellyHead Key, January 25, 2014, 09:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JellyHead Key

Ok guys I've finally got all my stuff together. I'm going to mount my Bunshell TRS-25 on my Mossy 835. I'm just wondering, after I mount my scope. Should I start out by having the red dot pointed toward where the bead is? This is all new to me having a red dot and I kinda just need a step for step direction on how to get started with this. Thanks!

outdoors

TOO START U CAN USE BIRD SHOT , STEP BACK ABOUT 20YD. AND FIRE TWO OR THREE TIMES AND THEN IF U WANT TO STEP BACK 30YD AND THE  SAME THING DAIL IT IN AND THEN GOTO WHAT YOUR GOING TO USE FOR TURKEY SHOT AND DIAL THAT IN AND GO TO 40YD

GOTO TO HOME DEPO TOO GET A BIG ROLE OF CONSTRUCTION PAPER THATS THREE FEET WIDE , AND U CAN GET WHAT U WANTO FOR THE LENGHT U WANT .WORKS GREAT FOR THIS U CAN SEE HOW U PATTERN ALOT BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE ....  HAVE FUN DOING IT  :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

FullChoke

Do not try to adjust your scope in the house. Come on.

You sight in a red dot scope the same way you sight in a rifle scope.

1. Using a large sheet of paper (as mentioned before) draw a 3" black dot in the center with a magic marker. Stake it out 20 yards away from a shooting bench.
2. Place your gun (with the same choke tube that you intend to use for turkeys) on sandbags on the shooting bench and shoot 1 time at the black dot using dove shot.
3. Go to the paper and mark another 3" black dot in the center of the pattern you just shot.
4. Aim your gun at the original black mark and holding your gun as steadily as you can, look through the site and adjust the elevation and windage, moving the red dot so that it covers the new black dot. It helps a lot to have someone make the adjustments while you hold the gun still.
5. Take a new piece of paper with a new 3" black dot in the middle of it, move it 40 yards away from your shooting bench and shoot it with the dove shot again. Check that the center of the pattern is the same as the black dot. Your Point of Impact (POI) should now be the same as your Point of Aim (POA).
6. Replace the paper with a new sheet with a 3" black dot and shoot it at 40 yards using the same shell that you intend to hunt with. If needed, adjust the POA/POI in the same way as above.

Doing it this way, you wind up shooting as few of your expensive turkey shells as possible and still get your gun shooting where you are aiming.

Good luck.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Skeeterbait

Your sight has two turrets to adjust the point of impact.  The upper turrent adjusts up and down and the side turret adjusts left and right.  Most good sights you can feel a click when moving the adjustment.  Some you have to only go by the marks on the turret.

Like most red dot sights, your TRS-25 is a half minute of angle (MOA) adjustment device.  This means for each click of the adjustment turrets it moves the point of impact half an inch at 100 yards or two clicks per inch as 100 yards.  Now obviously your not going to sight your shotgun in at a distance of 100 yards.  But adjustments at different ranges are a consistant factor of the MOA.  Each click moves it half as far at 50 yards and a quarter as far at 25 yards.  So remember this

two clicks per inch at 100 yards
four clicks per inch at 50 yards
eight clicks per inch at 25 yards.

For 20 yards it will be similar to 25 yards and at 40 yards it will be similar to 50 yards.

Get a roll of cheap wide paper, butcher paper, craft paper etc., and something to hold the paper, wood, a big box etc.,  you can just tape the paper in place.  Put a dot in the center of the paper. Use a rest to steady your shot and fire one shot at 20-25 yards.  You can use low brass field loads for this to save cost and shoulder pain if you like.  find what you believe to be center of the pattern and place a mark there.  Take two measurements from the mark back to your aiming dot, how many inches left or right, how many inches up or down.  Adjust your turrets the number of clicks necessary to move your point of impact to the point of aim.  Replace the paper, put a dot on it for aiming and fire again.  Repeat if needed to fine tune the point of impact centered on the point of aim.

Now move your target to 40 yards and get your turkey shells out.  Repeat the same process till the point of impact at 40 yards is centered on the point of aim using your turkey shells.  Your now good to go.  I recommend returning to 20 yards and firing one time at that range with a turkey shell.  I wouldn't make any more adjustments but it is good to know if the turkey shell is going to be a bit high or low at short range when sighted in at 40 yards.

JellyHead Key

Ok awesome! Thanks a lot fellas!!  :z-guntootsmiley:

REBELYELL

Good stuff. Bookmarked for reference.