turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lead or Hevi-Shot

Started by JVA54, January 24, 2014, 11:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JVA54

What shell's are you shooting this year?

davisd9

I am shooting hevi. Bought a few boxes from Jim that are older lot numbers. After I run out I will decide where to go from there. Hevi's quality is really starting to go down the tube. My patterns dropped 40% last year and I know a couple guys that had the buffer leak out the shells. For the kind of money they are asking I expect some good quality control. If the product was quality I personally do not mind spending the money, I use 6 a year if all goes as planned. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bustabeak

Those new Winchester shells look like they are worth giving a try! But they'll be hard pressed to make me switch from Mag blends.

WildSpur

I am sticking with my magblends in my go to gun.  My rainy day gun will be throwing longbeard 3.5/2/5. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

MKMGOBL

Winchester Xtended Range 3.5 2oz. 6shot
If I decide to take out the Tomwacka (black powder thumper), a home-made 2oz. lead mixed load of 5X6X7 that spits an incredible pattern :icon_thumright:

"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

eddie234

I've got eight boxes of hevi #6, they should last me for a few more years yet.

turkeykiller22

I hope you have lots of that Winchester XR! I use to shoot that then found out they don't make it anymore.. that was a sad day to say the least!

I am shooting Nitro Ammunition Company shells now. They are highly priced but they are worth every penny in my book. You can consistently kill birds at long ranges if you need to! I am shooting the 4x5x7 2 and 7/16oz and boyyyy do they work!!!  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Quote from: MKMGOBL on January 27, 2014, 10:23:36 AM
Winchester Xtended Range 3.5 2oz. 6shot
If I decide to take out the Tomwacka (black powder thumper), a home-made 2oz. lead mixed load of 5X6X7 that spits an incredible pattern :icon_thumright:

Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

MKMGOBL

Quote from: turkeykiller22 on January 27, 2014, 04:50:19 PM
I hope you have lots of that Winchester XR! I use to shoot that then found out they don't make it anymore.. that was a sad day to say the least!

I hear ya :( I ended up buying 5 boxes last spring. Once they are gone, I'll be getting back on the Rhino & Nitro train for my 12 & my 20ga thumpers :icon_thumright:
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

davisd9

Bought these bad boys for the 20.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

trkehunr93

I'm using Win. HV 3.5" 5's in my 835 and Win. XX 3" 5's in my 500, couldn't justify HTL prices anymore.  Sold all of them (thanks Donald!)I get a great pattern out to 40 with these shells.  I may try some of the new Win. Longbeard 4's and 5's just to see what they can do.  Maybe some Turkey Thugs also.  I got enough lead loads to kill turkeys for the rest of my life.

Donald, a little elmers glue where the crimp is at will eliminate the buffer from leaking.  Cheap fix!  The ones I sold you I believe had buckwheat hulls for a buffer, not the white granular kind.  The white Hevi's I used to shoot were bad about leaking buffer due to the roll crimp they used.  The crimp would get pushed in and my shell pocket on my vest would be full of the stuff.

JVA54

Quote from: Bustabeak on January 26, 2014, 10:36:00 PM
Those new Winchester shells look like they are worth giving a try! But they'll be hard pressed to make me switch from Mag blends.

I want to try them too, just hate to keep changing shells ever year.

Turkeykiller12

H13 3.5" #7's for my 12ga and Heavyweight #7's for my 20ga.

JVA54

Has anybody tried the Winchester long beard shells yet?

davisd9

Quote from: JVA54 on February 04, 2014, 02:54:24 PM
   Has anybody tried the Winchester long beard shells yet?

I am interested in patterning the 3.5" 5s just to see what they will do.  Got plenty of hevi but worth looking into in my opinion.  Especially want to see what they look like at closer ranges.

JVA54

Donald have you shot those nitro's out of your 20ga. yet?