turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Star dot?

Started by cjordan, January 22, 2014, 07:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjordan

Do you think the top choke is a Star Dot?

BowBendr

cjordan

ILIKEHEVI-13

Yes sir. 

I seen that last nite on there.   

Tom Dooley

I have seen some Star Dot's like this one with a hatched knurl on the end and I have seen some with a straight knurl on the end. Are they the same/equal?

ILIKEHEVI-13

I would say they are. 

Skeeterbait

Star Dot also made chokes for and were sold under the name of Preston Pittman.  All the Preston Pittman chokes I have seen had streight knurls and the Star Dot's had cross hatched knurls.  Not sure if that holds in all cases though.  My understanding is that they are otherwise identical.

ILIKEHEVI-13

The Star Dot chokes that say Preston Pittman were not the original Star Dot chokes made by Colonial Arms.  I know this for a fact after speaking to the woman owner of Colonial Arms.  That's where Highlander Sports stole Colonial Arms design after their falling out when Highlander Sports got behind on their bills to what they owed Colonial Arms.  Colnonial Arms stopped making the Star Dot chokes for them.  So Highlander Sports took it upon themself to take the Star Dot chokes they had and have another company in AL copy them. 

Mike on here thinks he knows who made those chokes.  But apparently if he is right then some of the Star Dots by what it says on the back of the package were not original Star Dots made by Colonial as well. 

I'll let him share the info if he wants. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I don't think he will mind so I will post the info. 

Now before I post this I will just say that the info I have is that Highlander Sports went belly up or bankrupt in either 2002 or 2003 and the end of the word Star Dot chokes were done.  So this makes sense to me.

More Details for Ptc Technologies

Ptc Technologies in Huntsville, AL is a private company categorized under Electronic Detection Systems (Aeronautical). Our records show it was established in 2002 and incorporated in Alabama. Register for free to see additional information such as annual revenue and employment figures.

Aeronautical is the key here. Stardot may have had these made from someone outside the choke tube industry. They may have taken colonials design to PTC and had them made.

ILIKEHEVI-13

So if the back of you package has the words PTC Technoligies at the bottom where the address is my guess is that you don't have an original Star Dot choke made by the original manufacturer which was Colonial Arms if the above info I posted is correct. 

This may also explain why I had 2 different either knurled or straight groove Star Dots with the original Star Dot packaging at one time.  But I don't know that for sure. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

But my hunch would be that Colonial Arms knurled all the Star Dot chokes they made for Highlander and the straight groove ones were made by that company above if that info is correct. 

But that may be wrong. 

Now my next question would be to anyone that has a for sure package they got when they bought a straight groove Star Dot choke that don't say the words PTC Technologies at the address on the bottom of the back of the package? 

Philippe

That is either a Pittman or a Star Dot. Just curious, what gun is it for?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Philippe on January 22, 2014, 09:38:00 PM
That is either a Pittman or a Star Dot. Just curious, what gun is it for?

That's for a Moss 835.

ILIKEHEVI-13

So we now know most of the Star Dot facts. 

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,40168.msg399709.html#new

Still will have to do some research on why there is no mention of the Highlander Sports on the back of that package for that is the company who had Colonial Arms make the original Star Dot chokes. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'm gonna send the guy on ebay selling all of these PTC Technologies Star Dot chokes and email and ask him where he is getting all of these copied Star Dot chokes from just out of curiousity.  I'm gonna explain to him in detail what I know about Colonial Arms making the original Star Dot chokes for Highlander Sports and that they had PTC Technologies copy Colonial Arms Star Dot choke design and see what he has to say just out of curiosity.