turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 shootin low, Help!

Started by TANK, March 10, 2011, 09:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TANK

I just bought a new 870 Super Mag in Bottomland from Bass Pro. They had a special run of them made from Remington. It was a topped with a red dot scope that I hate. I don't like all the fancy optics. The front sight on the barrel has a small ramp and a bead like on the old 1100's. It doesn't have a rib. The gun patterns great but is about 6 inches low at 40 yards. I took the red dot and weaver base off before I patterned it. I was wondering if I put the Weaver base back on and use it as my rear aim point, if that would raise my point of impact enough????????

BIG10

I am confused. Did you sight in with the red dot or front sight? You barrel only has a front sight? If you used the red dot put a .020"shim under the rear of your weaver base and that should raise you up enough to get lined up at 50 yards. If you have a front sight only try just the weaver base w/o shims and you will be a little to medium high@ 50 yards

TANK

It only has the one bead on the barrel. The barrel isn't ribbed. I took the red dot off, then shot it with the factory sights.

Skeeterbait

OK, I googled 870 super mags and looked at pictures of barrels with no rib and ramped front sights.  They all have an adjustable rear ramp sight on the barrel too.  Does your barrel have holes drilled and tapped for a rear sight?  If so I would call Remington and see of you can puurchase a rear adjustable sight for it. 

Reloader

He's talking about the new 870 that just has a raised bead on the end of the bbl.  It's on a little base that's brazed to the bbl like the old A5s had before they went to ribs.

Short of sending the bbl back to Rem, your only options are to have a smith lower the front bead(grind the base, polish, reinstall the bead, and refinish), have the bbl bent, or go with a diff optic.  I would just go with a Burris FFII on the Weaver rail and call it good.

For a Redneck fix, you could install a 6-48 screw in one of the factory holes on the reciever and use it as your rear sight. Shim with tiny washers for the proper height.  Maybe even cut a groove across the screw head.  Sounds silly, but it works.  Your lucky it's only off elevation wise and not windage wise. 

jayslim

If you just bought the take it back and tell them you want another gun or barrel aftre you explain to them what it is doing.

TANK

Quote from: Reloader on March 11, 2011, 10:16:21 AM
He's talking about the new 870 that just has a raised bead on the end of the bbl.  It's on a little base that's brazed to the bbl like the old A5s had before they went to ribs.

Short of sending the bbl back to Rem, your only options are to have a smith lower the front bead(grind the base, polish, reinstall the bead, and refinish), have the bbl bent, or go with a diff optic.  I would just go with a Burris FFII on the Weaver rail and call it good.

For a Redneck fix, you could install a 6-48 screw in one of the factory holes on the reciever and use it as your rear sight. Shim with tiny washers for the proper height.  Maybe even cut a groove across the screw head.  Sounds silly, but it works.  Your lucky it's only off elevation wise and not windage wise. 
Do you thinkthe Weaver base wouls serve the same purpose as the screw?

TANK

Quote from: jayslim on March 11, 2011, 01:30:00 PM
If you just bought the take it back and tell them you want another gun or barrel aftre you explain to them what it is doing.

They won't exchange. If I sent it back to Remington it would be next season before I could use it............

Reloader

QuoteDo you thinkthe Weaver base wouls serve the same purpose as the screw?

Probably be too high.  Wouldn't hurt to try.

Rob Robertson

You need to raise the comb.  Like a trap gun.   That will make the gun shoot higher.  Put one of those comb pads on it.

TNhunterKMC

Put some Williams Fire Sights on it and make the adjustment for now.   When I bought my 20 gauge 870 it would shoot low and to the left about a foot from 25 yards.   I sent it back to Remington to be repaired.   The closest authorized repairshop was in a nearby town (which I had gone into see them).   They told me it was a shotgun and wasn't supposed to hit where I aimed.    And to whack  the barrel over a sack of seed to bend it back the other way.   I REFUSED TO TAKE MY GUN TO THOSE JACKASSES FOR REPAIRS.   I took it back to Wally World and made them send it out for repairs and told them NOT to send it to that shop.  When I got it back - it shot where I aimed.