OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 SPS Turkey/Predator 20"

Started by WVHills, December 16, 2013, 11:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVHills

Found this gun at a local pawn shop for around $470, looks brand new.  I've shot it a few times with Winchester black box in 3"- #5 & #6 with the stock choke that came with the gun (after cleaning it).  At 40 yards it put a fairly decent amount on paper but the pattern, with both shells, had too many holes in it for my taste.

I've asked for a Kicks GT .655 for Christmas and I already have a box of Winchester Longbeards XR 3" #6 in the safe.  It's the 21" barrel that made me lean towards the .655 choke.  Short barrel + tighter choke = better pattern??

I know the only way to know for sure is to try.  But if this choke and the three shells mentioned above fail to improve my pattern, where would you start next?

d.winsor

I would try the Winchester Long Beard XR shell in #5's with a .665 choke.  Same shell for 6's I would use .655 or .650, I have never shot 6's other than patterning them years ago and out of the .665 choke (I tried numerous other smaller Hasting chokes, never panned out) they were kind of thin at 40 yards, plus #6 shot would be stuck in the cardboard backing at 40 yards, never the #5's.  Guns I used were 870's, SPST 3" and Super Mag 3.5 inch, Using Winchester Supreme High Velocity 3" and 3.5" 

Hooksnhorns

I shoot an 870 sm w23" barrel and a .655 GT. I'm shootin the 3.5" lbxrs in #5  and I'm getting an avg of 170 in 10" @ 40 yds. So I'd try the .655. It should do even better w/ the 6s. But every gun is different, so...
Don't Tread On Me

WVHills

Thanks for the replies.

I ended up with a Sumtoy .665 choke.  I bought Lonbeards 3" #6 and plan on getting some in #5 as well. I'll pattern once it warms up some over here to see where I stand.