turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Burned Area

Started by Bombnuke, March 10, 2011, 08:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombnuke

Newbie here... I am hunting an area that the landowner burned approx 3 weeks ago and was wondering if it will bother the turkey movement?  I deer hunted this area and they came through every time I was sitting in the stand. Opener is coming up real soon and I have not had a chance to scout the area as much as I should.

Thanks,

Scott
Waiting to shoot Tom in the face...

J Gilbert

The turkeys will be all over the freshly burned land, especially if you've had some rain and nice weather to get things growing.

Kylongspur88

Turkeys LOVE LOVE LOVE a fresh burn. All those fresh grasses and BBQ bugs!!! Your lucky you have a place to hunt where they did that. I have seen birds in burn areas a day after the flames were out. I know a guy who killed a bird that had the beard singed off where he had been picking through a fresh burn and must have brushed up on a hot log or coal. Good luck!

pittboss

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on March 10, 2011, 08:54:46 PM
Turkeys LOVE LOVE LOVE a fresh burn. All those fresh grasses and BBQ bugs!!! Your lucky you have a place to hunt where they did that. I have seen birds in burn areas a day after the flames were out. I know a guy who killed a bird that had the beard singed off where he had been picking through a fresh burn and must have brushed up on a hot log or coal. Good luck!

X2  I hunted an area last year that was recently burned.................. I had to beat them gobblers off with a stick cause the were so thick :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

pittboss
Gobble Gobble Boom !!!!!

Skeeterbait

The seat of your pants are gonna be black but the hunting will be better.  Turkeys love a burn.  They will come back in soon to feed on parched seeds and bugs.  It opens the area up where they can strut and feel safe that nothing is sneaking up on them.  Then as spring brings tender new growth, that will attract insects and the turkeys will be in there buggin.

guesswho

Yes.  The landowner did you a favor.  They love a fresh burn.  I've killed them on burns when it was still smoking.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

maustypsu

Quote from: Bombnuke on March 10, 2011, 08:34:06 PM
Newbie here... I am hunting an area that the landowner burned approx 3 weeks ago and was wondering if it will bother the turkey movement?  I deer hunted this area and they came through every time I was sitting in the stand. Opener is coming up real soon and I have not had a chance to scout the area as much as I should.

Thanks,

Scott

First, yes the burn will help you way more than hurt you.  Might alter your set up based on how the cover was.

The birds won't necessarily be in the same place in the Spring as the fall.  The burn may have changed a pattern as will the season change.  Also if it impacted the nesting areas that were popular in the past when you've hunted it, don't count on seeing as many birds.

However, if they can still roost and nest near a burn on an area they use - you are in great shape!  It will be one of their preferred strutting and feeding areas for sure!

BoWhoop

All good advice so far.  The only things I would add would be that if it was hardwoods that were burned, you will really be able to sneak around quietly for the next couple of years.

Also, if it was pine woods, really consider wearing DARK camo as the trunks will be burned higher than hardwoods and will be black.

hoyt

Best thing you could hope for. Turkeys will be in there before the fire is out. I remember one time I was calling a gobbler and had to be careful where I sat as to not catch my pants on fire.

MC

As everyone else has already told you, it will be a good thing. I hunt an area that gets burned on a regular basis. Take heed on the dark camo. There will not be nearly as much cover around and everything down low will be black or shades of. I have taken charcoal and rubbed my clothes down but finally got wise enough to just hang a set of clothes on the line and take the black spraypaint to them.  Don't paint them totally black, but certainly put a good dose on them.

I too have shot them when the woods were still smoldering. If you get to looking you will see all kinds of bugs and critters that got cooked.

chcltlabz

Killed a bird in GA a few years back in a still smoking burn.  Had to buy a new cushion for my vest because I melted it, but I killed a bird :gobble:
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.