Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Modifying my 835 into my perfect turkey gun.

Started by davisd9, October 08, 2013, 09:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

I am the type of person that tries to only make changes to my turkey gun if I can see a functional reason for it.  I try not to do it just because I like it because many times that adds things we do not need and they get in the way of our hunting.  I am not a good enough hunter to take those types of chances.  My 835 started off as your standard camo 835.  I bought it from walmart in the summer of 2011 and its pattern was MO break up w/ a 24" barrel.  It came with the standard UltiMag X-Full choke.

First things I did to the gun was add a Star Dot Choke to shoot the Hevi 3.5" 6s from and added a Simmons Pro-Diamond 4 x 32 mm scope using a DNZ scope mounting unit..  I added the scope because I have a terrible habit of getting excited and lifting my head up off the stock when I shoot.  The scope forces me to keep my head down and I have become much more successful (the two years I have used this gun I have harvested 7 longbeards).

\
I decided to add a limbsaver to the gun and to camo the scope.  I used the MO graphics to put the camo on the scope.   I added the camo to the scope so it could blend in better, I know black is fine but I have to give myself every advantage possible, and the limbsaver to make her a bit smoother to pattern.

My next modification was after I hunted with the gun in 2012.  With the scope on the gun I had a bit of trouble putting the safety back on.  I did not feel comfortable with this so I researched an after market safety and decided upon a tactical safety.  I have to say putting the gun on safety and taking it back off safety is much easier.  This would be the best modification overall in my opinion.

I thought I was done and there was nothing else I could add to the gun for functionality.  Well midway through the 2013 season I was working a strutting bird in a field and he was about to walk down my gun barrel, 3 steps from down it at 40 yards or so.  At this point the bird stops and goes into the standing alert position.  I sit there holding the gun for 5 minutes and when he decides to take those 3 -4 steps and stop I pull the trigger and clean miss, knew it as soon as the gun fired I missed.  I had recently added a pistol grip to my dad's 11-87 so that he could grip it better with his arthritis.  I played with his and decided that I wanted to add one to my gun so that I could hold it up for a longer period of time without starting to wobble.

As with the scope, I need all the advantage I can get so I decided to dip the butt stock to match the gun.  It is a little brighter but I am very happy with it and now I think my 835 is complete to make My Perfect Turkey Gun!

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

allaboutshooting

There is just nothing like modifying a gun to meet your exact needs and desires. You've done that and it looks great as well. Congratulations.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

grayfox

The gun looks great & thanks for sharing your story with us.  I always enjoy reading about what others are doing to they're guns to improve them for their own personal liking.

Uvagobbler

Awesome job on your modification! I changed out the old hard recoil pad on my 11-87 and replaced it with a limbsaver pad. It was money well spent. I also used the mossy oak graphics on my game camera security box and it turned out great.
                                                 Good luck,  Mike.

davisd9

Thanks guys!  Cannot wait to get her back in the woods!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

chatterbox

beagler

Never Misses

trkehunr93

RAY

Very cool.  I have the same gun and removed that hunk of rubber they call a recoil pad too.  I went out and got a LimbSaver and haven't looked back. That scope is a great idea.  I like the camo job you did too it.

surehuntsalot

good looking turkey gun.....good luck with it
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ScottyPotty

Looks good!  I was thinking of trying to get a stock like that on my 835.  Can you still get a good cheek weld with that stock? 
Life is hard, it's even harder when your stupid

alclark2

I like my scope also. I need the new stock on my 835. Lookin good buddy
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

davisd9

Quote from: ScottyPotty on November 02, 2013, 11:26:18 PM
Looks good!  I was thinking of trying to get a stock like that on my 835.  Can you still get a good cheek weld with that stock?

Ordered stock from ATI and they offer a check riser extra for 10 bucks. Did not know if I would need it so I held off. For my scope I do not need a riser. I can firmly place my cheek on the stock and see through the scope with no issue.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

davisd9

Quote from: alclark2 on November 08, 2013, 11:50:58 AM
I like my scope also. I need the new stock on my 835. Lookin good buddy

http://www.atigunstocks.com/144-mossberg-12-gauge

Mine is the traditional. Just bought the butt stock, did not need forearm. Very simple to install. Only issue I have with stock is once it is on you cannot pull trigger out without loosening. Not a big issue as I only clean that area, unless it gets wet, once a year and that is after the season.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2