OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Benelli M2 w/SumToy 562-5 & HW 7's

Started by alloutdoors, September 13, 2013, 07:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alloutdoors

Got out again this morning to do some more shooting with the new gun. I spent some time this week modifying the 336 base for the Fastfire because last time out I had run out of adjustment before I could get POA and POI to meet up. The modified base solved the problem and I had the gun on target in no time. I ran another box of light loads through the setup and then got down to some patterning. For some reason the first two shots at 40 with the turkey loads were a bit thin, which was kind of a surprise after getting 141 in windy conditions a week ago. After that it started to put up much better numbers.

EDIT - I agree with the comments here that the "poor" patterns on the first two shots were caused by over cleaning the gun (in particular, using solvent in the bore). They are not representative of what this gun/choke/ammo combination are capable of. They do however provide a good example of just how much of an impact something like that can have, so I am leaving them up for informative purposes.

1st shot

2nd shot

3rd shot

4th shot

5th shot (33 yards)

savduck

Were you cleaning between shots. Sometimes you got to burn a choke in. My sumtoy loves burning in.
Not a turkey around gonna walk away from any of those patterns. Awesome set up
Georgia Boy

alloutdoors

I considered that as a possibility. I gave it a thorough cleaning after shooting the light loads (bore snake, bronze brush, solvent, mop, and then the snake again). I cleaned it after each shot with the turkey loads too, but just by running the snake through it a few times, which is all I had been doing last week too. Next time out I may try running several consecutive shots with no cleaning at all just to see what the numbers do. But like you said, no turkey is going to survive even the lowest pattern there.

savduck

Mine usually puts up 140 numbers cold. I run denatured alcohol on a patch until the patch is clean.
Georgia Boy

SumToy

Just brush the gun.  I DO NOT put solvent.  I have seen it hurt the patterns.  That looks to be what happen.  We have a way we clean but PM me I tell you how.  :icon_thumright:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

alloutdoors

Thanks for the info William. I've edited the first post to make it clear that those are not typical patterns for this set up. I thought about just removing those photos from the thread, but I think it's good information to have up for anyone else who runs into the same issue.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ncturkey

I do not do full cleaned between shots when patterning. I used just a dry brush between shots. I just use a dry brush cause I think with the fast cleaning between each I would not got all the solvent out. And to me that would affect the patterns for sure. I am not say that is why you had low numbers but it could be the reason. I have not seen much difference between the patterns when just useing a dry brush after each shot versus  full cleaning(when done right) to mess with doing the full cleaning. Still target shooters only use a dry brush only when cleaning between each round. Know this only for patterning. After my patterning is done I give my barrel,chamber and, choke a full cleaning. I make sure after it is clean I remove all solvents. Then I am ready for hunt. I forgot to mention great pattens by the way. It is good to know what your gun will do. Looks like you have a good combo.