OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

An 870 transformation....Finished DIY Camo Dip

Started by gophert, August 31, 2013, 10:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gophert

Well I finally had time to work on my 870 20 ga and finish it up.  It's not put all back together, but I though I would share the journey. 

It somewhat started here (without the FF2)

Then I added an ATI Stock

Then I found a Knoxx stock and ditched the ATI

and finally got to camo dip it myself.  It was a job, but I couldn't ask for it to look any more professional

I've got to add the clear coat and then reassemble and it will be ready to roll.

Enjoy,
Tim

ericjames

Looks good, I finished browning silver a few weeks ago. I was happy with the way mine turned out.

chatterbox

Tim,

That came out fantastic! Better than some off a showroom floor!
Great work!!!!! :icon_thumright:
Can't wait to see it all put back together! :icon_thumright:

gophert

Quote from: chatterbox on September 01, 2013, 06:08:08 AM
Tim,

That came out fantastic! Better than some off a showroom floor!
Great work!!!!! :icon_thumright:
Can't wait to see it all put back together! :icon_thumright:

Thanks Mike.  I have been reading about hydro camo dipping for over a year before I got up enough nerve to dip my gun.  It's not the actually dipping that is the problem, it's the prep work.  If you don't use the right paint and do it in the right time frame it will look like crap.  So, after all the study, I did it yesterday and it most definitely turned out great.  I had to do a little touch up here and there, but looked every bit as good as my factory 870 12 ga in realtree.

ericjames

I bought extra film with my kit and the kit had plenty of activator for 2 guns plus some extra. as far a the primer/base there was not enough of .. But I went to Walmart and bought the base/primer and a flat clear coat and finished my browning abolt with it.. There is no way I will pay anyone else to dip one for me. But I wool say you are right there is alot of prep, what did you use to plug the barrel off with? I even dipped my pure gold choke because the blueing wore off the end and it was very reflective.

gophert

Quote from: ericjames on September 01, 2013, 09:50:19 AM
I bought extra film with my kit and the kit had plenty of activator for 2 guns plus some extra. as far a the primer/base there was not enough of .. But I went to Walmart and bought the base/primer and a flat clear coat and finished my browning abolt with it.. There is no way I will pay anyone else to dip one for me. But I wool say you are right there is alot of prep, what did you use to plug the barrel off with? I even dipped my pure gold choke because the blueing wore off the end and it was very reflective.

Eric,

I taped the receiver end and then took a wooden dowel rod and wrapped gradual tape around it and shoved it in tight.  I wasn't too concerned about getting water in there however. I was mainly doing it to have something to hold on to when I dipped the barrel.  I may do may choke next.  My daughter is still trying to decide if she wants her gun dipped.  Her's is still black and she likes it that way I guess. 

vaturkey

That's a great job !! Well Done !!  :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

outdoors

EVERY TIME THERES HARD WORK INVOLVED AND THE RESULTS TURN OUT REAL , REAL GOOD . IT MAKES IT ALL WORTH IT , LOOKS REAL GOOD  :icon_thumright:  :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

remmy1187

That looks great, been contemplating trying it myself or sending my shur-shot stock off to get dipped.  Not sure which way to go on that, might just have to try it myself.

gophert

chatterbox

captin_hook

ericjames

This is my browning silver after I dipped it..

ericjames