turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

beard and spur dry time

Started by holtspur, April 05, 2014, 07:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holtspur

How long should I let the top of the beard and spurs sit in borax?

THattaway

A couple weeks should be fine. I normally leave them a month or more though.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

VanHelden Game Calls

Spurs 0.  DIY tutorial on spur cleaning will have them cleaned up quickly.

Beard I let sit for a week or more after I have trimmed and scraped clean.

Northerner

For spurs I peel off the skin and put them in a pot of medium boiling water with a drop of liquid dish soap.  Only for a few minutes and then let them dry for a day or two on some paper towel.  I will then use a Dremel and whiten up the bone area.  This will take off any stubborn pieces of skin that may be left near the base of the spur itself.

For beards I leave them in Borax for a good two weeks and check them once inawhile to give the borax a little shake.  After about two weeks - You can feel the end to see if it is totally dry and will start to be like rock.

WALKER80

I let my beards sit for a couple weeks.  Same with the spurs, I then take the spurs out and clean the borax off of them and out of the bone and soak them for a couple hours in formaldehyde.  I then let them hank and dry for a week and repeat. Oh, I also wrap my beards unblock craft string and leave a loop to hang them on and coat the string with crazy glue.