OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbler Decoy

Started by WyoHunter, March 09, 2011, 10:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

How many use a strutting mature gobbler decoy such as Killer B, etc.? Cabela's has one for sale for $39.95 and was thinking of buying one. Have you had much success with it?  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Uhadme@gobble

I use Feather Flex Tommy Boy..... Light weight , quick set up, gets the job done!

Reloader

I used one last year a bit.  It will work for some birds and scare others.  The best looking strutter to me short of a DSD or mounted tom is the Bass Pro Redhead strutter.  The head, beard, and fan look much better than the others.  I had two dominant 3-4yo toms pegged before the season last year and they were whipping every other bird that came on their turf.  I bought the strutter and told Dad exactly where to set it up opening morn and sure enough right after fly down they both came in to whip the strutter.  OTOH alot of two year olds will go the other way when they see it, especially if they've been getting their tail kicked by dominant birds.  I like a jake more than a strutter. The jake will pull in the dominant birds and 2yos if placed next to a hen decoy.  Much easier to set up as well.

harvester

One of my friends uses the pretty boy and swears by it.

WyoHunter

Quote from: JohnDoe on March 09, 2011, 10:16:43 PM
Do it. Its alot of fun to watch them come in and dance with the deke. I like B-mobile better than Killer B, as it has too many bells and whistles.

John
How do you carry the decoy? Can you roll it up? I'm a run and gun turkey hunter and cover a lot of ground in a days time.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Gobble!

i use them and have good success

bowhunter84

swiabooner

I use a strutter decoy with a jake fan.  I've had great luck with it doesn't seem to spook the less dominate birds as much as using a mature tom fan.  With motion stake it's a deadly combination.

carp84

Anyone make up their own with a normal jake? Thinking of trying that

devin4484

peep n tom for me
pretty boy for my stepdad
and b mobile for my uncles they all work especially with a real tail fan

Bustabeak

Best money I ever spent! Every bird I've called in (even a Jake once ) have sprinted to it! I have heard some birds don't like them and I'm sure my day will come when one runs from it but, so far it been  to watch them try to fight it! I have a B-Mobile and love it! Good luck with it if you decide to get one.

kylongbeards

King strut is the way to go,easy to carry and realistic as crap,i mean for a decoy .Have used it for the last 2 springs and will not go to the woods without it  :you_rock:
Proudly providing the american turkey with a quick humane way of leavin this world ...and providin a good ole head stomp to finish the job !

Hevi-shot prostaff
DND Outdoors prostaff

Jim(BigBird)

the DSD Tom is the best looking decoy I have seen, I have the Jake and Hen and will be getting the gobbler very soon.

jakesdad

I made my own out of one of the old flambeau "bubba" half strut jakes and a primos fan holder and stake.I folded the decoys tail inside itself and rigged it so it sits on the fan stake.use a real jake fan and i can adjust it to about any position.usually set it at about a 45 degree angle.works pretty good.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Duke0002

As mentioned, watch out for another hunter sneaking up on it.  Got a Pretty Boy with a natural jake tail, but haven't used it enough to make a decision.