Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got on one for some video but got cut off.

Started by bowmike, May 30, 2013, 08:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowmike

Set up on Tee in the tram road near where I shot my gobbler hoping to get some film to watch in the off season. I knew there are two roosting spots off of the tee so I waited for the first gobble, and moved in.

He sounded off on the ridge top exactly where I shot my bird. I jetted over and sat under the same tree where I got my bird. I let him gobble for a while before calling, and he was already working over in my direction. I kept calling and he kept gobbling. He got to about 80 yards and I hear what sounded like someone using a mcdonalds straw to call turkey.

I shut up because i thought it was another hunter , and did not want to mess him up. The gobbler kept answering the mickey d's straw calling. I kept waiting for a shot.

Just then out in front of me about 40 yards I hear a fly down cackle of the mickey' d's straw and watch a live hen hit the ground. She worked up over the ridge to the gobbler, and they must have got down to business because he never made another peep.

I wonder if this will be a hot spot yearly. I am surely excited to try this spot out in the fall. I think I am going to try and get a buddy of mine on this Tom tomorow morning and set up between the hen and the gobbler, presuming they roost there again. He sounded like a nice bird. Maybe i should just try and get video and let him alone after that until fall.

Can't believe that was a real hen. In my head i thought "and i thought I sounded bad.."

It was great to get at least one more morning out to listen to some gobbling. This guy went off at least 5 times a minute so it was pretty awesome.

Does anyone go out after the season just to practice calling and such, or once it is over do you finally sleep in

El Pavo Grande

In the past I would go listen some mornings after season just curious as to the gobbling activity and what remained after the hunting was over.  No calling, just listening.  These days I am so exhausted, sleeping just a few extra hours is much needed.  It is not uncommon here for the turkeys to be gobbling real well after season.  They are still doing their thing.  If I only had a few months out of the year, I guarantee I'd be making it count too!!!