turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Last Week Tactics

Started by 870BkWht, May 13, 2013, 10:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

So this week is the last week of season here in WV.  I have 2 available days left to hunt and can legally hunt until 1pm here in WV.  I havent visited my properties that I have been hunting since last week, but everyday on my way to work I usually see birds going to and from work and have noticed that the gobblers are starting to tolerate one another and frequent the same fields as one another, and I have also noted that the gobblers aren't strutting as much if any this past couple of days.  I was wondering if you veteren turkey chasers could give me some pointers on last minute efforts to wrap a tag around a leg. 

va wingbone

If they are on the way out and getting back together and won't gobble, you may have to set up in a known feeding spot our on a travel route and play the waiting game
"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

WV TURKEY THUG

Just go fill up ur pickup and drive around until u see one bust him throw him in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and keep on going like nothing happend. Lol Jk don't really do this but I usually pick a day or 2 of the last week to setup in a known feeding area like mentioned before usually a food plot but I really don't like doing this its kinda like hunting over bait to me especailly if u got seeds on top of the ground they love them seeds . Last year on the last day there was one gobbling until he couldn't gobble no more ithink haha they are still gobbling good in wetzel county besides yesterday I heard 4 this morning 1 around 10 00. Heard a few gunshots. Here lately I've been just stopping and calling every now and then until I find one that's hot. Then its game on. They seem to have have hens with then 95% of the time this year.

WildSpur

I don't do anything different.  Just cover ground to find a hot bird.  You may not hear many birds the last week but I can say you could find the hottest bird of the season the last week.  Jmhe.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

WV TURKEY THUG

Quote from: WildSpur on May 14, 2013, 08:55:56 PM
I don't do anything different.  Just cover ground to find a hot bird.  You may not hear many birds the last week but I can say you could find the hottest bird of the season the last week.  Jmhe.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
agreed this is the case most of the time but the one I was calling to had hens with him today. Who would of thought?

Uncle Tom

The end of the season can sometimes be the best for tagging that boss gobbler. Watch for lone hens going to nest late mornings and try to pattern them. Then ease in on the next morning and be prepared for the boss of the woods to be in toe. Sometimes this works right at the end of season and usually he will be the one doing all the breeding...and you know he will be a dandy. Good luck.

bowmike

I got my bird but wanted to scout for saturday day. full story is in the deceiving gobble distance thread.

Long story short. i got set up on one, and made it sound like a hen was with another gobbler on his turf. He would hammer my hen calls but got really aggressive on the gobble calls. When i started to purr and cluck quietly and followed with a gobble, he flew down out about 50 yards. i watched him strut for about 25 minutes before sneaking off. Right now they may be searching hard, if still a hot bird, or just back to their normal routine. I think the key is to get one a hot bird and use his territorial nature to bring him in. I was pretty aggressive this morning and definetly could have filled my second tag....IF i would have bought one  :angry9:

As others have said if nothing is talking, set up and hunt them like a deer, food source or traveling too and from food source.

I am by no means a veteran but surprised my self by harvesting a long beard, and getting set up to kill another one a few days later. Lets just hope that on saturday I can bring in ol full fan for my buddy and get him his first bird.