turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My year so far

Started by paintbrush, May 12, 2013, 07:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintbrush

Hey guys. Been really quite in here, so I thought I would give a report on how my year is going so far. Hunted down in NE.Mo. the last part of the first week they were open and hit some terrible weather. The first day down, Thursday, it rained 4.5" in a 24 hour period and everything was flooded! No fun hunting in that! The second day, Friday, it switched to snow with a strong north wind, but I managed to take a longbeard that would score 54.625. Saturday it was nice out and I called one in for my guide as he had his unfilled tag. Sunday I drove across state to the NW corner of the state and hunted Monday with no luck. Monday afternoon the weather turned bad with 30 mile north winds and rain. Went to bed that night and the windows in the house were rattling in that wind. Got up at 3:30 Tuesday with the wind still howling and the rain coming down sideways. Went back to bed and got back up at 5:00 with the wind still blowing but the rain had stopped, because it had turned to snow! Said the heck with it and came home. 

MN. hunt was much better as we hit some nice weather. Shot a tom that went 61.125 about 5 minutes after flydown. Called one in for one of my buddies the second day of our hunt and then called one in for another one of my group the 3rd and final day of our hunt. 3 nice longbeards from the same field in 3 days. After that hunt I then called one in for my son on his hunt up here and then yesterday called one in for a friend of mine also up here. Been a great year so far.

This Thursday I'm off to SD to try my luck over there. I have 4 tags to try and fill and having just talked to the main land owner out there, it sounds like it should be a good hunt as he wintered over 300 birds on his place and nobody has hunted them.

I'll get all the pictures up of my first 2 birds in the next day or 2 and will fill you guys in on the SD hunt when I get back. Anybody else still hunting? If so, good luck!