OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

best tick/bug spray avaiable

Started by glenhunter, May 03, 2013, 07:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblers_nightmare

If you're going the home mixing route you have to make sure you get water based, and not oil based.  The Martins Permethrin 10% is 10% permethrin and 90% inert, no petroleum distallates.  15 to 1 is 0.625%, 19 to 1 is .05%.  For $14 on Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-10-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B001EVKCKM ) I make up 2 gallons of 0.625% spray, taking care of a 5 hunters and all their equipment.  The same amount of Sawyers, being .05%, would be well over $200.  I would not consider going in the spring woods without it.  Like I said above, 3 hunters with a total of 75 days in the woods = zero ticks.
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!

ssettle

I mix my own tick spray using permethrin I get at tractor supply. Never had an issue with ticks since I started using the stuff 10 years ago. Do Not Spray It on your skin and don't dip the wife's' cat in it either, unless you don't like cats. Doesn't harm most animals but it will kill a cat stone dead within ten minutes.

ky turkey hunter

What do you cut the permethrin with?

woodsman1977

870FaceLift

Another vote for Sawyers.  It is a little expensive, but I haven't had a tick on me in years. I've hunted alongside buddies who've peeled numerous ticks off them when back at the truck, while I had none.

Another thing you can do is shed your clothes as soon as you are out the field and put them in a trashbag.  Once you get home, throw them in the dryer for 30 minutes.  The heat will kill any ticks that might be in/on your clothing.
Pass it on...