turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

best tick/bug spray avaiable

Started by glenhunter, May 03, 2013, 07:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenhunter

Can you please tell me the best anti-tick bug spray for turkey hunting? Thanks in advance

regards
gh

captpete

howl

40% DEET is still the all-around best. Besides, if you don't use DEET then your gloves and mask won't smell right after season is over.

Adding permethrin every couple washes in addition to the DEET is about fool-proof, though.

DirtNap647

CntrlPA

From what i've seen DEET doesn't do anything to ticks. Any brand using permethrin should be fine.

Gobblers_nightmare

Permethrin on the clothing, and a repellent containing picaridin for the skin.  Unlike DEET, the picaridin does not stink, feel hot on the skin, or melt plastic.  Seems every bit as effective as DEET to me.
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!

seb5315

I've used Sawyers for the last two seasons and haven't pulled a single tick off of me since.  I was hunting with my buddy two days ago and we had to walk through waist high grass for 300yds; he pulled 8 ticks off of himself and I didn't have any. 

howl

Quote from: Gobblers_nightmare on May 17, 2013, 11:59:40 AM
Permethrin on the clothing, and a repellent containing picaridin for the skin.  Unlike DEET, the picaridin does not stink, feel hot on the skin, or melt plastic.  Seems every bit as effective as DEET to me.

I tried that for deer. I had poor luck with mosquitoes. I wouldn't mind trying again. How did you apply it?

Rio Fan

Quote from: seb5315 on May 17, 2013, 01:47:45 PM
I've used Sawyers for the last two seasons and haven't pulled a single tick off of me since.  I was hunting with my buddy two days ago and we had to walk through waist high grass for 300yds; he pulled 8 ticks off of himself and I didn't have any.

This is also my secony year using Sawyer's and I've had zero ticks on me.  I now have my dad and a couple of buddies sold on it as well.  It's great stuff.

stinkpickle

Permethrin (Sawyers, Repel Permanone, or other) for ticks and Thermocell for skeeters.  NO DEET!!!

magicman

Sawyers for me. I also use a thermocell for the skeeters. I wouldn't go turkey hunting without either.

Uvagobbler

I also am a firm believer in sawyers. Used it the last few years and never pulled a tick off of me. Thermacell has worked well for mosquitos. I kicked off my spring season earlier on a trip to sc, and I saw mosquitos so big that they looked like helicopters. Not one bite.

wareagle22

Another vote for Sawyers!   Best there is to me. 

WyoHunter

Quote from: seb5315 on May 17, 2013, 01:47:45 PM
Great stuff but follow the directions on applying it. It works well for me.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!