turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting with a partner

Started by leogunner, April 29, 2013, 07:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leogunner

I'm going out hunting with a good friend this weekend and have no idea how to hunt turkeys with a partner.  We're both brand new to turkey hunting but have a fair amount of experience hunting other game.  I would love to tap in to the vast amount of knowledge you all have and come up with possible strategies that would give us a crack at our first long beard.  We're planning to work cooperative to give us both a better chance of a bird, no egos on either of us.  I did my scouting prior so I have a decent idea where they a roosting and where they're feeding.  They are roosted in a large hardwood ridge line and travel into a semi open valley approx 200 meters (Canadian and Army so I don't know feet) to a thick pine ridge line to the corn field to feed. I welcome all to comment on strategies and setup that you've used to be successful.

Thanks in advance
:OGani:

guesswho

Don't worry about a having a specific game plan.  Most game plans fall apart within the first few minutes of the first engagement anyway. 

Without seeing the place I'd just suggest getting somewhere between the roost and where you think their heading.    I'd set-up separate from your partner but maintain a visual, 60 yards or so if possible.  That should give the two of you a better chance of someone being in the right spot.   Both should do some calling but someone may wind up being the primary based on how the birds are moving, you'll just have to react to whats unfolding.  Don't be afraid to get up and re-position, just make sure the two of you keep visual contact.   If the birds get close I'd suggest the person the furthest away from the birds do the calling, more scratching than calling might be a good way to go.   If your first set-up doesn't work get up move on them.  When moving to another spot don't worry to much about being super quiet, the right kind of noise can be a good thing.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

DirtNap647

i have found it to work best if you dedicate one guy to calling and the other out in front of you kind of like a cut off man when the gobbler hangs up the shooter is right there waiting more gobblers will try skirtin you at 70yds i have even kept callin and got up snuck away calling making the bird think im leaving when he comes lookin falls right into your partners lap just remember safety first but you will find this a deadly tactic on some stubborn toms hardest  part picking the shooter lol  good luck

leogunner

Thanks for the help guys.  Can't wait for Saturday to try it out.