OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What is the right way to roost a turkey?

Started by turkeyhunter4life, April 28, 2013, 05:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyhunter4life

I am having trouble roosting turkeys.  Currently use a owl hooter, but not getting any responses at night.  Any help is greatly appreciated...

StorminNorman

Not sure if there " right " way to roost a turkey. Is it or an open area where you can see them heading into the woods to fly up ?  I've used an owl call or crow call at dusk just about what I think is fly up time if I can't get a visual on birds. Or just a simple series of yelps to get them to answer before or at fly up time. And a fly up cackle and maybe I'll toss in the slapping of my hat off my leg for the wing sound. In my experience I've never gotten them to answer when it's gotten completely dark , and I've never used a coyote call to get them to shock gobble. Considering the yote population here in NH. And trying to find potential roosting site during my preseason scouting helps alot. 

And of course they may not answer at all when attempting to roost them no matter what you use.

turkeyhunter4life

StorminNorman:

Thank you for your advice. I will try these new techniques and see if they work better than my owl call.  Sometimes the birds walk across the field allowing me to get an idea on where they go, but not always.  I did the same thing that you mentioned... I tried calling at the time in which I thought that they would be flying up.

But thank you again and I will try your tips to help locate the gobblers.