turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NC gobbling report

Started by BowBendr, April 14, 2013, 06:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BowBendr

The birds where I mainly hunt in the far NW corner of NC are a little quiet after fly-down, but i've been hearing great free gobbling in central NC (Montgomery/Randolph Co.'s) starting around 9:15-9:30 a.m.

What region are any of you hunting, and what are you hearing ?

gobbler336

i'm in randolph and was out of state till opening day, but did get lucky, i heard three birds but very little gobbling once on the ground, but i was at the truck by 8:15 though.  my bird had 5 hens with it.  heck i had just left florida and they still had hens with them down there, last year was awesome and early this year is much slower and is later which should make for some great late season hunting.  buddy in central sc heard a pile of birds sunday, the 14th. 

frogfish

Saw a bunch of birds doing some late evening strutting 2 weekends ago around Hendersonville. Hunted Franklin County (Louisburg) and some free gobbling starting right after first light. Had some birds gobble back at my call, but by no mean were they gobbling their heads off. I wasn't calling aggressively anyways...very light calling. Had a tom that I was stalking silently sneak up on me (soft clucks/purrs every 5-7 min, but couldn't close the deal  :'(

Still waiting to kill my first gobbler ever...

huntersteve

Been a strange season here in western N.C.....seems like everytime I go out the birds are acting a little different...gobbling one day then in the same area you hear nothing the next....slipped up on 2 longbeards out on a powerline that were a alone...soft called to them....got no response at all.....just looked my way then went on about there business....

BowBendr

Gobbling really good on the limb this morning in the foothills of the NC mountains. Saw a few fanned up about 10 a.m. in a green field. They're feeling a little frisky I guess......

DUK HUNTER

had one Gobbling here this AM on the roost, he went quiet after fly down. It was good to hear. I live in western NC.

Garrett Trentham

I'll be out Saturday morning south of Raleigh. Would like to go some day this week, but looking at the weather, I've decided against it.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

blueridgegobbler

Heard one in WNC this morning usually hear 9-10 in this area should be getting cranked up in a few days

BowBendr

Went yesterday morning up in the mtns. Didn't hear a peep, but there wasn't much else doing anything either. We weren't back into any areas we wanted to be in, just quietly listening from the roads...........

Garrett Trentham

Heard maybe 5 gobbles in Edgecombe county last Saturday. Going to try it again a couple mornings this week after the weather moves through.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

rayvond33

Havent heard a gobble yet.. But I have gotten a few on camera struttin in the last few weeks :blob10: :blob10: Also been watchin a flock of around 20 birds almost every morning on my way to work, there is at least 4 strutters  that I have saw fanned out  at one time or another. But they not makin a sound that  I have heard.. This is all in central NC
Working Class Outdoors
"Working for a Living and Living for the Outdoors"

PEHunter

Didn't get out in time for any gobbling last saturday but saw one trying to bread a hen. Surry county.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garrett Trentham

Edgecombe County

3/16 Birds gobbled on the limb good but late. Gobbling in several directions on the roost. Heard gobbling on the ground until 9am.

3/22 Much less gobbling overall. Very little gobbling on the limb. However, one bird flew down and gobbled good for 30 minutes until he met up with his hens. Gobbler were split up for the most part and fighting if they saw each other across the field. Watched two different fights from one vantage point. Hens were still all in one bunch.

I'm getting kinda tired of experiencing all four seasons each week. Saturday was 80 degrees and now a chance of snow this Tuesday. Let it warm up and BRING ON SPRING!
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

brimmyfish

Saw a bunch of longbeards this morning while scouting. Even saw one strutting with a couple of hens. They were completely silent on the roost and the ground. Hope things get hotter before opening day!!

livetohunt72

Ive been hunting is richmond county since opening day killed a nice tom about 30 mins after sitting down opening day 11 1/2in beard with a 4in second beard 1 1/2 in spur ( only had one spur)
but ive been hunting one bird in the same area for 3 years now! smartest dang bird ive ever seen i think he can read my mind ive tried every tactic,call and decoy set up possible even tried to cut him off with my dad and he still disappeared into thin air... and ive seen him twice this week but neither time was in range and also saw a jake yesterday