OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Mexico

Started by Kcurtisjr, April 11, 2013, 09:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hevi-5

I hear you about the 4-wheelers.  We went to the Gila a few years ago and couldn't work a bird for people driving up on you.  But on a positive note, if you fell off the mountain and broke your leg, if you could Gobble, help would ride up in a matter of minutes. 

Kcurtisjr

Quote from: Hevi-5 on May 02, 2013, 05:21:31 PM
I hear you about the 4-wheelers.  We went to the Gila a few years ago and couldn't work a bird for people driving up on you.  But on a positive note, if you fell off the mountain and broke your leg, if you could Gobble, help would ride up in a matter of minutes.
That's funny. Lol

HartClemson99

QuackAddict, a fellow Clemson Tiger is turkey chasing in NM as well.  Hunting north of Santa Fe in the morning.
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

quackaddict

Hart, is he from Scducks too?
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

HartClemson99

It was me.  Hunting public land near Coyote. 9,000 elevation.  Birds all henned up.  Left and went to TX.
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

Kcurtisjr

Slow weekend once again.

GobbleNut

I figured at some point in the season the birds would start talking, but it appears that is not going to happen,...at least not in the area of the Lincoln we hunt.  The gobbler numbers are obviously down this year. 

My conclusion is that there are so few two-year-old gobblers around,...the ones that like to gobble and get the older birds active, as well,...that the birds just have not been stirred into gobbling much.  In places where in the past where a guy could count on hearing several birds, it has been difficult to stir up even a single tom. 

The windy weather certainly has not helped things, either, but even on the few calm mornings we have had, I have been amazed at the silence in places where, in a normal year, a person would hear several gobblers going off.

The good thing, though, is that there appears to be a lot of jakes this spring, which bodes better for next year's hunting. 

Kcurtisjr

I agree in the large number of Jakes.  We saw several groups  of multiple Jakes