Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I finally called in a couple of birds with a pot call I made. 2nd bird down.

Started by bornagain64, April 09, 2013, 08:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bornagain64

I went out today with my brother and we doubled up on some Osceolas.

I have made about 10 pot calls. Some look good but do not sound good. Some are not the prettiest but sound good. The calls have gotten better sounding along the way, writing down measurements and making small changes as helped tremendously. Mostly having a good and patient teacher, thanks Ray.

But I actually used the very 1st call I every made. I also used a Hooks Executioner mouth call  for part of the hunt. I also put birds in front of my brother for the 1st time in his life. To him I am the best turkey caller in the world. ( Now that is funny)

Thanks to all the call makers for offering advice, suggestions and posting tutorials , so that others could make some calls to use.

It is a curly maple Glass over slate with a curly maple striker, bottom call.

John

turkey-slayer

Congratulations to you. It is always great to call up and take a turkey with a call you had made. Those pot calls look good and can only get better the more you make them. Don't be afraid to ask for any help along the way. Good luck in callmaking and hunting those turkeybirds.

Gawhitaker

Those are some nice looking calls. Congrats on the birds.  The hook is set hard now, ha

Gold Spur

Congrats to the both of you. Good looking pots also!
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

alclark2

Hoosier Hunt n Fish

lightsoutcalls

Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

SCGobbler

The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

runngun

Y'all did great call's look great too

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

backwater

Good job John.   It's pretty special when you call em in on something you made with your own hands..
   Ray

bornagain64

Tagged out in Fla, 2nd Osceola down. Used the same pot call and a HOOKS Executioner mouth call.
Awesome year, sad for it to be over.
For next year I am planning on making myself a set a strikers, all the same design but with different woods. Maybe try and had some of the antlers I have to the strikers as well.

Thanks John

dreis3

Great birds.  Congrats!  It's a great feeling taking a bird with a call you made.   :z-guntootsmiley:
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

turkin8or

It is a great sense of accomplishment to be judged by the best ear in the business!