turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Eventful morning

Started by MouthCaller, April 08, 2013, 01:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MouthCaller

First time posting this year.... Well this morning was only the second morning Ive got to go and there wasnt a dull moment.... First light I got on a bird gobbling good on the roost where I killed a 2 year old last year and went to get set-up and in my hurry sat my gun on a sapling only to watch it in what seemed like slow motion fall off the tree and make a loud racket... immeditely I hear turkeys fliushing 80 yards away but the gobbler is still gobbling... got decoys set up and get sat down only to hear another bird fly off and this time it was the gobbler because I didnt hear another gobble on the limb... an apparently stupid hen stayed put and started calling so I called back to her and she flew 40 yards from me in a tree right in front of me and just stared in my direction for probably 3o mins... she finally flys off the other direction and I head up the mountain about 300-400 yards and face the direction the birds went and start calling... 30 mins into it facing the sun I hear a gobbler maybe two Im not sure, I barely make a twitch to get repositioned and I got busted.... I kept calling and called in 2 hens into view and they saw something they didnt like and turned around... still in this second set up waiting it out and called in another hen and got busted. Ok I say to myself this obviously isnt going to work so I walked 300-400 yards east into the sun and set up facing back to the west where I came from. after 30 mins of calling sparingly I call a hen who come in to my hard right and passes behind me... I let her walk on down the ridge and start calling and BAM gobbler coming right from where I came from... I watched him walk and strut into about 40 yards and he hung up and turned to walk away and I rushed my shot and missed him twice...  :angry9: :angry9: :angry9:.... I pick my stuff up and walk looking around to make sure I didnt get him (didnt even find a feather) and walked toward another large ridge in the direction he went and about a 1/4 mile away I hear a bird hammering.... long story short on this guy lots of set ups and chasing and he fianlly shut up and I got too close trying to get closer and ruined him too.... thinking of going back to the roost site this evening or should I just let them rest? I only get to hunt on Mondays with a busy church schedule and work tues-sat.... thoughts???

MouthCaller

Meant for this to be in general could someone delete this topic for me... going to repost in general