turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

5's vs 6's

Started by Hankyorke, April 06, 2013, 09:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankyorke

I get the pattern density part, but does anyone have data on "kill power" or energy carryover on 5's vs 6's?

BrowningGuy88

Maybe bandedspur will respond. He has a program that will spit those numbers out.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I think past data said that 6's have per pellet killing energy to about 42 Yards, and 5's have that same energy per pellet to about 69 Yards.  Energy; not necessarily pattern density.  You can easily wound and kill, but not recover a bird shot too far away with 5's, if it's not a quick clean kill.

On the other hand, 5's have range-misjudgement insurance built into them; if you misjudge the distance by 5 or 10 Yards.  (Assuming that you still have the pattern density). 

6's for #'s, and 5's for Power.

I can't understand why people use 4's, when 5's are overkill already. :blob10:

WildSpur

To add:  it seems that people here are getting as good of pattern density with 5s as they are with 6s.  So it is worth the gamble trying a box of 5s out.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I think everyone should pattern some 5's and 6's.  See what you get.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on April 07, 2013, 10:24:24 PM
I think everyone should pattern some 5's and 6's.  See what you get.

Absolutely! Every gun has a preference in what it likes with the choke that is in it. Try it out and see what you get!

Hankyorke

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on April 07, 2013, 04:41:17 PM
I think past data said that 6's have per pellet killing energy to about 42 Yards, and 5's have that same energy per pellet to about 69 Yards.  Energy; not necessarily pattern density.

That's what I was after. Thanks

surehuntsalot

I really like #5's,all of my guns do and they have plenty of power to get the job done
I also like and shoot #4's a #4 will put down a gobbler in a minute
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Hhayes6

Great post. What is the number count that you would pick one of the other or do you go by that? For example I got 117 with Thug 3-1 5/8- 5's with 11-87 20 inch barrel. If I shoot the 6's in future and get maybe 135 what would you do? Naturally 6's have more pellets so I guess what I'm asking is what's the deciding factor?

R AJ

Quote from: Hhayes6 on April 09, 2013, 11:19:29 AM
Great post. What is the number count that you would pick one of the other or do you go by that? For example I got 117 with Thug 3-1 5/8- 5's with 11-87 20 inch barrel. If I shoot the 6's in future and get maybe 135 what would you do? Naturally 6's have more pellets so I guess what I'm asking is what's the deciding factor?

It would be the pattern coverage or consistency for me. 5s and 6s have what it takes to 40 yards.

Gooserbat

Both of my guns love 6's and get along with 5's and hates #4.  In fact the pattern density of # 5 will run out at about 40 yards out of either of my guns but holds up farther with #6.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

darn2ten

Quote from: Hhayes6 on April 09, 2013, 11:19:29 AM
If your over 100 @ 40, especially 117 with #5's there would be no question which one I would hunt with. That said, keep it inside 40 and either will work just fine.

BandedSpur

At 1200 fps, lead 5s penetrate 1.92" of ballistic gel @ 40 yds; 6s penetrate 1.61". So both are more than adequate @ 40 yds. I consider 1.25" of penetration adequate. Mods disapprove of any comments beyond 40.

alclark2

You all ever see any video of turkey loads hitting balistics gel? I always thought it would be interesting to see the penetration.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Longshanks

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 09, 2013, 05:50:38 PM
Both of my guns love 6's and get along with 5's and hates #4.  In fact the pattern density of # 5 will run out at about 40 yards out of either of my guns but holds up farther with #6.

That is the same experience I have with my lead slingers, great patterns at 40 with 6's and questionable density with 5's at 40. Much more comfortable taking a 40 yd shot with 6's than 5's. My thinking is the extra punch of 5's isn't gonna help me much if there are very few pellets in the head and neck. Inside 40..6's will put em down.