turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hate I ever saw this Forum :)

Started by 3seasons, April 02, 2013, 08:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3seasons

Its making my buy to many guns. I decided to build an 870 for me and my little girl. Ive got an 870 12ga that I built years ago that I absolutly love, but have always wanted to build a 20 but didnt know if it would compare to my 12 pattern wise.

I've been reading a lot on here.
I've been talking to a few people on the forum that have had a ton of knowledge and have helped me out tremendously. I cant thank them enough.

I bought a youth 870 21", took it to the shop and polished the heck out of the barrel(mirror finish). Then I drilled and tapped my receiver and put my base and FF3 on top. (Sure wish there was a warbird guard for the FF3).  I also bought the SSX choke and a few boxes of the Federal HW#7's and the
Remington SF choke for a few TSS#9's that I was able to get. I've got a ATI stock ordered, cant wait for it to get here. Next is a trigger job!

Well it was time to hit the range, I shoot from my porch so its convenient to shoot whenever the weather is nice. I've got a measured 40yd target holder set up and I shoot from a sitting position like I would if I was hunting. I shot the SSX and the HW#7's first. Two shot average was 243 in the 10" circle. Before yall rip me I couldn't believe it either but two shots, it is what it is. I couldn't wait to try the TSS out.  I cleaned my barrel and loaded up the first TSS shell. Now with these "cheap" shells I didn't want to mess up any with them so I pulled out my bench and set up on it. Now by setting up my bench this cut me down to 38yds. First shot is out of the SSX choke. I saw the paper rock and when i walked up to it i was amazed. 379\10". So then i changed chokes and went to the Rem SF and sent another TSS load down range. I just laughed and shook my head, I said to myself, your gonna get bashed for this one. But here it is. (Add 3 to the total because i missed 3 in the upper left quadrant, to many holes i guess)

Not sure why or how but its producing some awesome patterns. May shoot it again one day but I'm going to have to load more shells before i kill paper with a $8-$12 shell.  Ill do them like I do my Nitro's, shoot lead to make sure everything is still sighted in and then send one downrange just to verify. Then its all heads after that. I've got 3 TSS's left and I plan on trying to finish out my single season slam with them.

Now Im going to buy another youth 870 for my little girl, i cant give this one up.

Thanks again for all the help Russ and Brian, yall dont know how happy I am with this little 20.

After I get my stock in and get her all painted up Ill post some pics of the project.

01Foreman400

That is just sick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

CntrlPA

Those are crazy numbers! What procedure did you use for polishing your barrel? Thanks

3seasons

Quote from: CntrlPA on April 02, 2013, 08:53:50 PM
Those are crazy numbers! What procedure did you use for polishing your barrel? Thanks

I used the barrel polishing thread on the turkey gun forum.
I had done my 12ga years ago and it made a big difference.

I used a cordless drill and started out with the slow speed and full length barrel passes, 50+. I would change pads ever 20-30 passes and keep a heavy amount of the Kriol in the barrel. Also I would let the barrel cool between sessions. Then the next 50 passes I went to high speed and would intermitted short stroke about 10 passes then full length 10 back and forth. Then cool down. Then I did 50 more fast speed full length passes. I also varried the pass speed, some crept along some were fast.  I cleaned the barrel out with bore cleaner then changed to the bore brite and repeated the previous steps. After that i cleaned the barrel out again and inspected it to make sure all imperfections were gone. Then i took a scotch brite non scratch pad and put about 50 or so passes on the barrel with the bore brite. She's smooth as can be. 

Basically I polished my barrel until I could see no tool marks or lines in the barrel.

Hope this helps

Sand Man

Again, impressive.  Glad I could help as well as help you spend your money!   ;D

BE WARNED!  Every and I mean EVERY buddy that sees this 20ga then sees what TSS will do will want you either build them a gun or help them build a gun and then reload TSS for them.  I'm now up to 5 friends, my dad, and myself I have to reload for.   ;D

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

3seasons

Quote from: Sand Man on April 03, 2013, 08:36:26 AM
Again, impressive.  Glad I could help as well as help you spend your money!   ;D

BE WARNED!  Every and I mean EVERY buddy that sees this 20ga then sees what TSS will do will want you either build them a gun or help them build a gun and then reload TSS for them.  I'm now up to 5 friends, my dad, and myself I have to reload for.   ;D

Thanks, Yeah its worth every penny.

Cant wait to shoot a bird with on of my buddies that laughed at me when i told him I was building a 20ga to hunt with.

Hayudog

I know the feeling.  Rack is getting full of 20 ga turkey guns.  Buying TSS vs gold- seems like not too much price difference.  Rate of return might even be better!

gophert

That's an awesome paper pattern, but not one I would want to enter the woods with.  There's just not much wiggle room when you add in a little nerves.  I would try to back that thing down to mid 300's at least and put the rest in that 20" circle.  If that's a 1 5/8 oz TSS load, 325 in the 10" and 250 in the 20" would be the better hunting pattern.  Right now, it's way overkill in the 10" and can present a problem if you get rattled.

None the less, it is very impressive on paper.

3seasons

Quote from: gophert on April 08, 2013, 01:54:02 PM
That's an awesome paper pattern, but not one I would want to enter the woods with.  There's just not much wiggle room when you add in a little nerves.  I would try to back that thing down to mid 300's at least and put the rest in that 20" circle.  If that's a 1 5/8 oz TSS load, 325 in the 10" and 250 in the 20" would be the better hunting pattern.  Right now, it's way overkill in the 10" and can present a problem if you get rattled.

None the less, it is very impressive on paper.

I agree 10000%

It was the 1 5\8 TSS

Rattled? Rattled isn't the word for the way I get when I'm working a bird in, LOL  Its bad real bad. Once I was with my dad and we called in a jake\young two year old(6-7"beard) which was illegal and was to small to shoot anyway. I got to shaking so bad and having muscle spasms that I had to lay down behind the blind so he wouldn't spook. My dad laughed his butt off at me all while asking if I was ok. Over the years I haven't got much better. I killed my biggest bird to date the second week of season here in MS and I was dang near hyper-ventilating and shaking some kind of bad, I did have him at 90yds for 45min though so that didnt help. All the back spasms came after the shot.  I know it sounds crazy but if it ever quits I will prob quit hunting.

I prob need to shoot a modified choke, lol. 

I do a trigger job on all my guns to make the trigger as smooth and light as i can. Helps out a lot.

I'm thinking I will prob use the SSX choke because of the larger pattern. I am going to have to try to shoot one with the SF though.