News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

16 gauge Question

Started by cjr1, April 01, 2013, 12:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjr1

Hi guys,
I'm going to Texas on a hunt this week and just found out I'll have my Model 12 back in time. This was my Granddads gun and I have killed several first's with it growing up. Duck, Goose, Deer, just never a turkey.

It has a 26" barrel with a Modified choke and only shoots 2 3/4's. I'm guessing I'm looking a a max range of 30yds. Was wondering what I should shoot out of it? I've not shot lead in years. I won't have a chance to shoot it before we leave, but will after we get there.

Thanks for your help.

FL-Boss

I have a Model 12 - 20 ga from my great grand dad.. around 1915.  It was a fixed full... I was thinking about trying it out for turkey sometime.  I wonder if we can shoot HEVI loads from those barrels or just lead? 

I would love to have a model 12 in 16 ga.. nice gun.

R AJ

I would look at some Federal or Fiocchi #6s or even 7.5s  and call em close. I killed several using a 16 ga 26" imp cyl but that is no turkey gun.

I had Remington #6s in 2 3/4" plastic green hull and some paper Peters blue hull on a roll crimped shell.
Shot size and load was printed on the end of the shell.

Good luck to you. Finding shells and hunting.

cjr1

Believe it or not, I have a local Gander Mtn store that keeps a good selection of 16Ga ammo. Just not sure about the size. Seemed like the last I used lead, YEARS AGO, we were using #2 & #4 in 12 ga.

FL, I've shot the Hevi Shot Classic Doubles through mine for duck hunting without any issues. My gun is not as old as yours though. He bought a set of new guns in 12, 16, 20, and 28 ga in or around 1949. After he got back from the war.

I've got the 16 and 28 and my brother has the 12 & 20.

Borden811

I've got a model 12 in 16 gauge. I've got a full barrel, and a modified. I patterned a ton of shells in the full barrel last year. The one that shot the best, including the hevishot shells, was Remington express long range 6s. I tried 7 different kinds of shells including 2 types of federal, fiocchi, Winchester, hevishot, and 2 types of Remington's. All in size 6 shot. I was good to go out to 30 yards, 35 was pushing it.

FL-Boss

thanks for the info.. may get me a box of express and let um rip..

3" 870 Shell Shucker

With a 16 gauge, I'd try every kind of #7.5 I could get my hands on, and see which one patterned best.

cjr1

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on April 01, 2013, 07:45:11 PM
With a 16 gauge, I'd try every kind of #7.5 I could get my hands on, and see which one patterned best.

Even with a modified choke?

3" 870 Shell Shucker

7.5 Lead will be a good choice for a Modified.  Plenty of energy, until you run out of pattern density.

cjr1

Thanks everyone! Maybe I'll be posting some pics up next week.

dawei

Quote from: cjr1 on April 01, 2013, 12:22:25 PM
Hi guys,
I'm going to Texas on a hunt this week and just found out I'll have my Model 12 back in time. This was my Granddads gun and I have killed several first's with it growing up. Duck, Goose, Deer, just never a turkey.

It has a 26" barrel with a Modified choke and only shoots 2 3/4's. I'm guessing I'm looking a a max range of 30yds. Was wondering what I should shoot out of it? I've not shot lead in years. I won't have a chance to shoot it before we leave, but will after we get there.

Thanks for your help.
I use a 1921 Ithaca® Lefever® 16ga SxS choked MOD and FULL with Federal® Wing-Shok® 2¾" Mag 1260fps 1¼oz #4 and #6Pb (P165 4, P165 6).

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

surehuntsalot

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on April 01, 2013, 10:23:34 PM
7.5 Lead will be a good choice for a Modified.  Plenty of energy, until you run out of pattern density.

I will have to second the 7-1/2's
I would pattern every different kind that I could find
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Odessa

cjr1, My input is too late for your hunt, but I am very interested in knowing which load you decided on and how it patterned and performed for you.  I killed a tom last week (4/13) with my 1951 era 16 gauge Browning Auto-5 (full choke barrel) shooting Federal Premium 1-1/4 oz., copperplate #6 lead.  I had excellent patterns out to a max of 32 yards (picture attached).  When hunting I set my limiting stakes at 30 yards from my blind, shot the bird at 20 yards. Would like to learn of your experience as well. Odessa

"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

surehuntsalot

thinking about picking up a 16ga to add to my collection
it's not the harvest,it's the chase