News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

VA Gobbling Report

Started by forcercon1, March 27, 2013, 10:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forcercon1

Hello Everyone,
In my area of S.E. VA the weather has been colder than usual and the birds have not been gobbling much at this point. It seems most are still in large flocks. I just starting seeing some strutting over the past couple days as the temp's have increased some.

What are you hearing?

Wingboneman

East side of state and not a peep over this way.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Northern tier of the state:

Still flocked up but gobbling modestly on the tree.

Things are positioned perfectly for a stellar season.

vaturkey

Here in Central Va. it's heating up. Some days are a little better than others. IMO the best is yet to come !

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

jim67

Hear in NC its been a cold spring also.The opener doesnt start for two weeks so Im thinking it will be peak by that time.I think the cold will delay them some,hope so.

longbeard11

The best is yet to come!! Should hit the first peak just right in the first week, hopefully weather will cooporate! Looking like its gonna warm up in the extended forecast, things should start really heating up!! Cant wait to get back down there this year! Bringing the wife along this time, hoping for her to bag her first gobblin tom!

AC7ION911

Called up a long beard this morning for my daughter but he hung up due to a topographical error on my part! Strange, this tom had five hens with him and still came in with the hens! Cackling with an Eddie Salter mouth call fired this ole bird up but like I said we hastily sat up when we spotted the birds in the field and it was a bad setup from the get go, we pretty much walked into the situation with no play other then to pop a seat and cross our fingers! Other then that my daughter had an exciting morning as did I! My opinion is the birds are not quite right yet as far as breeding is concerned and that explains this bird committing to me thinking I was a hot hen ready to get busy and the possibility of there being no dominant hens in the bunch!!!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

4 gobblers, 7 hens and 3 jakes all in one flock this morning.

They gobbled pretty well on the tree and ground.

Birds are still very flocked up and haven't dispersed quite yet.  I imagine theyll be fully separated by the middle of next week.

Wingboneman

got home from the hospital after 4 long days and went out on front porch to Listen and one was on fire, be a few days before I can get to the woods hope no one kills him. It will be right about next Thursday I hope by then I will be good to go.

weave

Had one lone bird at day break answering to owl call......nothing since....woods are dead quiet.

Sent from a  mobile device.
Check us out on the www @

VaTuRkStOmPeR

weave

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 13, 2013, 10:45:50 PM
It's on... Fo shooo

What county you in?

Talked to a few guys today and all had the same story....

Sent from a  mobile device.
Check us out on the www @

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Northern part of the state but I know of some birds in the northern neck got train wrecked, too.

Not sure where you're at but they did it right yesterday on the tree and on the ground.

Goodluck to everybody hard after em this week.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Talked good on the tree today but a lot of hens were in the area and it shut down around 645.

Managed to call up 4 hens from the direction of the gobblers but they weren't packing any male suitors with them.

Swankr

In central VA.

Last Saturday, called in two hens, got a good gobble out of the woods but he didn't come in.

Monday, set up in a young pine forest and got one to answer to a crow call.  He gobbled, I waited 5 mins and gave a little yelp and no answer.  Gonna hit it again tomorrow, across the valley there's a nice mature forest I think they may be frequenting.