OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Please Critique-Trying to prep for local contest

Started by lumberjack, March 27, 2013, 09:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumberjack

Please give me some honest feedback on my calling!!!! I have been encouraged to enter an upcoming contest......Am I worthy?  You can be honest!!! You can't hurt my feelings more than a friend of mine already has.....I'm used to it....but he's a perfectionist!!!!  :lol:    :thanks:

http://youtu.be/NgYRE8aJHmk

Number17

Yelping isn't too bad.....purring is second rate.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

wvcurlytop

Okay, it will call a turkey but for the calling stage, it will depend on the judges.  I think you need to work on your cadence as your third series of yelps there are some mistakes, and that all boils down to practicing more to get your rhythm down to the "T".  The judges will catch that and score accordingly unless your competition is worse.  Even then, if you are the second caller it will be too late.  The clucks, I don't know, maybe try a different striker to see if you get a little more realistic "cluck", as the call sounds a little Fake.  The clucks with that call are somewhat high pitched, and most clucks are a little deeper sounding.  This is just my opinion in comparing turkeys I've heard, and you may disagree.  I've heard some turkeys that sound far worse than most callers.  Purrs don't sound very good either.  It is just my ears if I were the judge.  Just an idea, maybe getting a little further away from the microphone would help, but still work on your cadence on those yelps. 
Perhaps try a couple different calls too..
You would have no problem killing a turkey but when you talk about the competitions you have to sound "Better" than a turkey anymore it seems.  Judges can be a tough bunch, and you really have to be spot on..  But you know there is only one way to truly know, and that is to keep practicing and enter all the contests you can, and experience is one of the greatest teachers. 
Listen to Sadler McGraw's friction calling, as man he is generally spot on and a good one to mimic..
Hope this helps, and I'll keep looking for more posts.  I love listening to them and critiquing.. I give you props for posting the audio and keep practicing..
p.s. Ceramic call??

WillowRidgeCalls

Your purrs are to long and to slow, the purr should be a SOFT QUICK FAST PURR, about twice as fast as your playing it.
Your yelps are also to slow, don't drag your yelps out so long, start slow and increase your speed as you run each yelp. Work on your cadence, 3-6 yelps in a series.

Your cadence, volume, and your pauses, will will score higher in more contests then what your call sounds like.
The same with your cutting series, DO NOT go into a machine gun cutting series. your pauses will give you a better score than machine gun cutting.
Go on to the NWTF website and listen to the Live Birds sonds, that what the judges use to compare your calling to.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

lumberjack

Thanks guys for your help.....I'll work on it over the weekend and post another video the first of the week!!  Happy Easter!!!