Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

HOMEMADE PERMETHRIN TICK SPRAY NEED HELP

Started by agturkey, March 06, 2011, 11:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number17

Cutter Bugfree Backyard can  be found at Lowes, Home Depot, ACE, etc and usually contains 2.5% permethrine in a water based solution. Mix this 4:1 with water to yield a .5% solution used to spray on clothing.
I've seen some of the product on the same display that contained Biefferine....you do not want that stuff so make sure to read the labels.

Others I've found are Ortho Total Kill, ACE brand permethrine, and Bonide brand. The bonide has the least offensive smell of all of them, but they all air dry to nearly odorless, and all have been highly effective at killing and repelling ticks and mosquitoes.

The concentration is not nearly as important as some want you to believe. For instance 1 squirt of 10% is going to apply the same amount of permethrine as 10 squirts of 1%. It's all relative to the amount you apply.

I spray the .5% concentrate directly on my two labs once a month. It is the same ingredient as Frontline Flea and Tick at a much cheaper price. My dogs have not had a single tick in 3 years....they used to be covered in them with frontline, and one had Lyme's Disease.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

captpete

I bought the Duration 10% concentrate from Amazon last year. It says right on the box that it contain petroleum distillates. It says to mix the soultion, use 1/2 oz. of concentrate with 18oz. of water. They send a couple of big bags and a couple pair of plastic gloves in the box. It gives instructions for doing the soak method, but you could always just mix and spray it on the cloths. I do both...soak the pants and shirts. Then spray my jacket sleeves, collar & waist for a little extra protection.

Bagg-it Tag-it

Most Farm Co-Op's have it as well as Tractor Supply or Rural King. It comes in 10% concentration, whereas Sawyers and other commercial brands for hunters is 0.5%. One ounce of 10% concentration permethrin to 20 ounces of water gets you back down to 0.5% and you save a lot of money.

Bagg-it Tag-it

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 11, 2011, 12:51:43 PM
Before you run out and buy the first 10% permethrin you find, realize that many agricultural permethrin concentrates are oil based and not water based like Permanone.  Need to look around and find a water based solution for use on clothing.

Why is that Skeeter? Are you looking out for health or clothing by not liking the petrol based concentrate? Just curious. I'm not really concerned about my camo clothes but if it is lots worse health-wise that might be a consideration.

J Hook Max

I went the farmer co op and got the kind that you spray animals with. I then took a spray bottle and diluted it by about for times. This solution works and goes a long way for your money.

trapperbr549

I use the Sentry 35 Day dip.  It says it is water based.  It is 5.7% so I mix 10:1.  Also, no smell at all for those that use it archery deer hunting.
Some of the ag products have perfumes added.

Chuck1443

Good to know , thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cohuttariverrat

I been using permethrin-10 for years for many different applications. First learned to use it for thermacell pads. Mix 6 parts water to 1 part permethrin with few drops of blue food color. 10 to 14 drops per pad then seal up air tight in tiny ziplock bags until use. Saves a lot money if you hunt with thermacells as much as I do. I also spray my dogs down monthly per instructions on bottle. Works for chicken mites as well. Also spay the yard regular through summer. This is a good thread and I have learned so much now for clothing application. Thanks

Gobblers_nightmare

Martins Permethrin 10% is water based, and it works great for a good price.  15 to 1 for .625 %, 19 to 1 for .5%.  Mix in a one gallon sprayer and coat liberally. 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TMB4DE/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!

Gobblers_nightmare

http://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-10%25-32-bottle/dp/B0088Y7PJY/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1397049337&sr=1-3&keywords=Martin%27s+Permethrin+10%25

This is water based, no petroleum distillates, 90% inert ingredients.  Mix with water 19 to 1 for .05%, 15 to 1 for .0625%.  For $20 you can make 5 gallons of treatment, compare that to Sawyers, which would cost hundreds of dollars for that amount.
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!

Mason Dixon

"Worked for our State Mosquito Control Section for years. We used the commercially purchased cans of Permanone for spraying our clothes while working outside in tick infested areas. I do not remember the label info with dilution amount.
   I purchase for personal use the 10% concentrate. I believe that is the highest over-the-counter percentage available without a license. Any good farm supply business should have gallon or quart size units. The directions give a multitude of dilutions for animal dips.....area sprays.....indoor and outdoor locations.
   For my clothes....I pick the dilution for animals...such as the family dog. If you are worried that this would be too strong....cut it in half....and try it for effectiveness.

NEVER EVER WEAR WET CLOTHING.....ALWAYS ALLOW TO DRY COMPLETELY BEFORE USING.

Wear in test situations for short then progressively longer times. If you sense any "change" in how you feel....remove immediately. How I respond to wearing treated clothing MAY NOT be how you respond.
   I use the dilutions listed for animal enclosure areas, etc., for inside and outside of my blinds. Read the directions and use your head when deciding what dilution scenario will work for you...."

Copied this from the internet.....
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=1;t=128200
1) Ithaca M37: aftermkt. pistol grip stock; full choke 30"; Deerslayer cylinder bore
2) Benelli M1 Super 90: cylinder bore defense barrel
3) Benelli Super Nova: Steady Grip stock; assorted Carlson's chokes; Indian Creek; Primos Jelly Head
4) Hand made wing bones; boxes; pots and strikers; diaphrams; wing flappers

TRG3

After paying $6-$7 for a spray can of Permanon at Walmart, I checked the ingredients and then went to my local farm supply store where, for $6, I purchased a small squeeze bottle of 10% permethrin made by Durvet. In an empty milk jug, I mixed 1.5 oz. of the 10% permethrin in a gallon of water, shook it up, and then poured it into my garden sprayer. After hanging two complete hunting outfits on the clothes line piece by piece, including camo overalls, camo shirt, camo jacket, camo leafy top/bottom, camo gloves, camo hat, and dark hunting socks, I sprayed them heavily with the mixture, making sure that anything that the ticks would come in contact with had been sprayed.  Generally, I wash the clothes at least once before the two week time-to-reapply comes along and find no loss of effectiveness of the sprayed clothing after washing. I did this for 3-4 years before posting the above online only to learn from others that this would not repel ticks since it would not stick to my clothing. Funny thing was, I had not picked up a tick during the spring turkey season or summer/fall squirrel season after I started using my homemade spray, all of this covering around 30+ trips to the woods annually. So...I just kept on using it and here we are some 7-8 years after I started using it and I plan to use it again this year...even though it's not supposed to work!

TRG3

Woops!! I forgot to add that after spraying my clothes, I let them hang outside until completely dry or, if it looks like rain, I move them to the garage until good and dry. When wet, the spray puts off an irritating odor that is best kept out of the house. Again, make sure that the permethrin sprayed clothing is definitely dry before using. That's why I typically spray them a minimum of two days before I need them.

TRG3

It's Wednesday morning and I just came in from spraying my outer camo turkey hunting clothes with a mixture of 1 1/2 oz. of permetherin in one gallon of water. I sprayed three sets of camo overalls, one camo insulated coverall, two camo shirts, two sets of camo gloves, a camo hat, camo top and bottom of leafy outfit, and the tops of two pairs of socks. I still have spray left over in the garden sprayer and will use that in two weeks to re-treat all of my outer turkey outfits. It opens in Southern Illinois on Monday, April 6th. I recently broke my ankle and will be hobbling on a walker/crutches with my faithful wife doing the decoys/gun/seat carrying duties. As I explained to her, remember at our wedding there was the "...for better or worse..." clause? Well, we've had 50 years of "better" and now it's time for a little "worse"! This should be interesting!