turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Decoy set-up or Rabbit Hole

Started by Ches., April 07, 2024, 09:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ches.

Years ago I put out two Hen Decoys and had no luck till I stopped using them. Since then I get Tom's coming into range still looking for the hen. Guess I watched too many shows this off season and picked up an Avian-X Lay down Hen. Now I am in the market for a strutting Tom to put along side of her. My question prior to shelling out for the Tom is , am I moving in the right direction or do you think I am going down a rabbit hole again. I hunt mostly woods from a blind. Thanks in advance. PS, I hunt Wisconsin Birds.
Ches.

backforty

I quit using decoys in the woods. Birds seem to either hang up when they saw them or spook. I did however have good luck with the lay down hen and a quarter or half strut Jake when hunting field edges.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Twowithone

Hit or miss for me. last yr had a Gobbler pitch down from tree look at the 2 hens I put out there and walked the opposite way. This was in the first week of the Pa.season.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

bbcoach

Forget the Strutter.  Play the Jealousy card with the laydown hen and get a 1/4 or 1/2 strut jake.  Put the laydown hen 2 to 3 feet in front of the jake.   You'll see why!

Ches.

Thanks for your responses. I am really torn between using a Tom or Jake Decoy or just the laydown hen. My past experience with Decoys has been less than stellar. I feel a laydown hen would be neutral. I like to go with bbcoach and get a jake, but have heard too many bad things about them. My current feelings are to get a Jake, use it first morning, then can it if it spooks anything.

357MAGNOLE

IMHO when hunting the woods use the landscape to your advantage. Make him poke his head around to where you are. I like to setup about 15 yards from a corner or other obstacle. I use decoys on logging roads, don't really hunt fields here.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Muzzy61

Quote from: bbcoach on April 08, 2024, 09:29:56 AM
Forget the Strutter.  Play the Jealousy card with the laydown hen and get a 1/4 or 1/2 strut jake.  Put the laydown hen 2 to 3 feet in front of the jake.   You'll see why!

^^^
This works best for me.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

mdmitchell

If you're in the woods get out of the blind and forget the decoys.

Strutting Tom decoys are both dangerous to hunters and effective beyond what I'd consider ethical at times. I gave up decoys 4 years ago and never looked back. Use terrain. Get where a bird has to periscope the hilltop to see and be in gun range of that. I've killed so many birds this way.

Ches.

I had given up on decoys also mdmitchell, that's why I say rabbit hole. I think I will give them a try on the land behind the cabin or on public, but will get out of the blind and walk as normal during the day.

bbcoach

Quote from: mdmitchell on April 09, 2024, 08:02:39 PM

Use terrain. Get where a bird has to periscope the hilltop to see and be in gun range of that. I've killed so many birds this way.
When you live in flat land and pine plantations, as I do, decoys can and will pay off.  In our smallish food plots and on roads in the woods, decoys will bring those stubborn gobblers into gun range.  With the hearing and eyes these birds have, you AREN"T going to sneak up on them here.  And we don't have any terrain to conceal our movement or setup behind.  Rolling hills and mountains, forget the dekes and run and gun!  Patience, Scouting and Woodsmanship are key here.     

Marc

Setting up with or without decoys takes some consideration.

Hunting the hills without a decoy, I like to hunt areas where birds have to look for that hen...  And with decoys, I am hunting more open meadows or slopes.

I have had a few birds "putt off" due to not seeing a hen when they should...  But honestly, I have had far more birds turn away from a jake decoy or hang up on a hen decoy (and strutt 80 yards away).

Strutter decoy will certainly pull in that dominant bird...  Early season before dominance has been established, you might also benefit from a strutter, but a jake decoy is more versatile in my opinion...

I have played with a Funky Chicken a bit, and honestly had fewer birds turn away from it than my Avian X 3/4 strut.

And...  I am mobile, and do not want to carry a heavy jake decoy...  I would probably lean towards a Funky chicken for hunting the woods and covering ground.

I grew up hunting ducks, and hunting turkeys with decoys seemed natural...  Any more I use one with kids, or I put out a hen to cover me if there is an open area they might come from...  Most of the time, I do not use one.

And...  I probably feel a bigger sense of satisfaction without the decoy...  But it is fun to watch birds charge in to beat on that jake decoy as well...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: bbcoach on April 10, 2024, 02:49:35 PM

Use terrain. Get where a bird has to periscope the hilltop to see and be in gun range of that. I've killed so many birds this way.
When you live in flat land and pine plantations, as I do, decoys can and will pay off.  In our smallish food plots and on roads in the woods, decoys will bring those stubborn gobblers into gun range.  With the hearing and eyes these birds have, you AREN"T going to sneak up on them here.  And we don't have any terrain to conceal our movement or setup behind.  Rolling hills and mountains, forget the dekes and run and gun!  Patience, Scouting and Woodsmanship are key here.     

Sounds like where I hunt. North Florida / South Georgia. I've had success with them on logging roads but also had one the other day hang up 100 yards out and not come any closer. I think it depends on the bird and on the day.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Marc

Strutting Tom decoys are both dangerous to hunters and effective beyond what I'd consider ethical at times. I gave up decoys 4 years ago and never looked back. Use terrain. Get where a bird has to periscope the hilltop to see and be in gun range of that. I've killed so many birds this way.

I "mostly" agree with you...

Me...  I do not like a blind, unless I am hunting with a child...  Feels like I am in prison, and no way to make a short strategic move...

But...  Even in the mountains,  you can hunt a small property in which moving around much is detrimental.  Sitting in a comfortable blind, and not disturbing the area can be beneficial (to some)...  Can be tougher to set up that blind in optimal terrain for killing birds with a blind though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Ches.

Well, I guess the best bet is to be lucky. I set my blind the day prior to season where I thought they would roost. Walked in without a flash light and 15 min. prior to opener I heard a gobble, then another, both within 80-100 Yds. Saw the closer one up the tree. After 30-45 min two hens pitched down and came to me. Then closer Tom pitched and came over hill at 50 yards strutting. Lights out for him. Not sure I needed decoys, but had laydown and Jake out.
Thanks for the guidance guys.

Notsoyoungturk

Agree with a lot of the guys above.  You have to read every situation but generally -

Woods - no decoys

Fields - Jake, laydown hen, and upright hen
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear