turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

treasure ~ Devotion ~ 3/20/13

Started by lightsoutcalls, March 20, 2013, 10:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I listened this morning to Dr. David Jeremiah on a "Turning Point" broadcast tell of a story involving the late Chuck Colson.  Mr. Colson was in Canada on an extended speaking engagement.  He had been away from home for over a week, and had a busy schedule that began to wear on him.  He told of how he decided to throw himself a pity part by purchasing some snacks and a newspaper and was going to his room to read in quiet.  As he selected the 6th floor button on the elevator, 2 attractive young ladies stepped into the elevator.  He politely asked which floor they were going to, and they replied "the 6th floor will be fine with us... do you have any plans for the evening?"  Their intent was clear.  Mr. Colson had shared that one thought went through his mind... it wasn't of his wife... it wasn't of his kids... it wasn't of his ministry...  That thought was the following verse:

Psalm 119:11
New Living Translation (NLT)

11 I have hidden your word in my heart,
    that I might not sin against you.

Mr. Colson politely told the 2 young ladies, "yes, I have quite a busy evening scheduled" as he stepped off of the elevator. 

Dr. Jeremiah went on to explain the "treasure" that is the word of God.  He encouraged being intentional about reading, studying and memorizing the word of God... for moments such as this.  He shared about the "peace" that often accompanies trials when a fitting verse falls into place like the last piece of a puzzle. 
  God's Word has an amazing way of settling our anxious hearts/minds, whether in intense trials or the business of daily life.  Reading His Word and applying it to life situations brings a sense of comfort or satisfaction in realizing that God sees and knows each frustration, each temptation and each stressor that we encounter.  We can be assured that through Him, we have hope, and can find strength.
   Indulge me for a moment in connecting the dots between the verse above, along with a couple of other verses by posting them in succession.

Psalm 119:11

11 I have hidden your word in my heart,
    that I might not sin against you.

Psalm 119:105

105 Your word is a lamp to guide my feet
    and a light for my path.

2 Corinthians 4:7

7 We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.

The treasure is there, waiting for you to find it...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Duke0002

runngun

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

misfire

Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

turkey slayer

BOFF

Many thanks Wendell!!

God Bless,
David B.