OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Roosting Trees....

Started by tomstopper, March 20, 2013, 10:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

OK let me start by saying that there are a group of guys I work with are arguing about "Do Turkeys Return To The Same Roosting Tree Daily". I had said that I know of a couple large oaks & maples on the land where I hunt that consistently hold large amounts of birds consistently. Based on my observations, here is my theory:

1) This could be due to the fact that they are some of the largest trees where I hunt.
2) There is so many birds that it is impossible to tell if they are the "same" birds there everynight.
3) I do believe that they are patternable & if they feel safe there, they could very well be coming back nightly.
4) Also could be based on the fact that there is a small clearcut that the birds visit first thing in the morning usually, & its located near the two biggest trees.

I cant speak for everyones hunting grounds & I will stay out of their argument b/c I just don't know due to the large # of turkeys that we have on the land we hunt. I think it depends on all the factors stated above and many more. The only advice I gave them that worked for me in the past is "find the hens & you will find the toms". Can any of you guys please help me out with some advice to tell these guys. They are driving me nuts....

redarrow

I cant say that they use the exact same tree,but I'm pretty certain they roost in the same general area. They like to fly down into open areas where they can see any predators.They need tree limbs the right size to allow them to clamp their feet around.At the farm I hunt they are always in the same bunch of trees.However if something spooks them before they get a chance to roost they will most likely roost in another area for that night anyway.

AUDoubleBeard

I have seen it both ways.  In Nebraska, where it is predominately open terrain the same group of birds roost in the same tree day in and day out, unless they get spooked of the roost.  Now where I hunt in Kansas is mainly woods and the birds tend to be in about a 100 yard radius for all there roost sites.  The same went for Alabama and Georgia when I hunted there ( general area roosting). 

davisd9

The birds on our farm usually leave the roost work to the other side of the farm during the day and roost there.  The next day they fly down and work back to the original side of the farm and roost back there in the same area.  I have areas on the farm that if I cannot roost a bird the night before I have no problem going to cause I have a great chance to find a roosted bird.  I think it just depends on the area and the pressure.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

DirtNap647

tend to believe its just that general area such as where they can see good etc...not ice here in pa they like points that overlook revines think they can see the hens and fly right to them and they can sense any pressure

870FaceLift

We have several roosting trees that are always used every spring.  The trees are tall, old pines that sit just off a creek.  They are also only about 75 yards from a 30 acre alfalfa field.  The birds usually fly down just shy of that field and then cautiously enter.
Pass it on...

R AJ

Tree availability, food source, water, and whether or not the gobblers are on the move can affect their habits but there are general roost locations and they will many times swap trees or limbs especially when going up to roost.  They seem to prefer to roost over water, larger/taller trees, and certain limbs that are perpendicular to the main bole. Down here in south Alabama it can be 12 year old loblolly pine 35 ' tall, a 90 foot tall slash pine, a big oak, cypress, or whatever.

I just want to know where they are planning on landing each morning.

fallhnt

I hunt public land in IL. and MO. so I answer NO to using the same roost tree in the Fall or Spring.Out west on public yes in spring on no in fall.It all depends on PEOPLE pressure.This is my lattest observation.If this question is asked again next year I may have a different answer.Three months to hunt in spring and five months this fall/winter may prove different.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

rpinks

Last year while hunting a farm in southern indiana. a great turkey hunter who has taught me a lot told me they will likely roost in the same tree or very near if not disturbed. He roosted 2 gobblers and told me about where they were. I set up 45 minutes before daylight. Some coons got to fighting and I realized i was within 50 yards of them. Thought well this will be easy. There were 2 gobblers and a jake in the tree. When they pitched down I was on the edge of a slew with no shot. They left and went on. Hunting bottom farm ground which is very open and hard to move on them. Stayed all day moved one time 30 yards so i could see the bottom of the tree they roosted in. They ignored my calls and I did here them gobble sometimes accross the field which kept me there. Both gobblers came back and I harvested 1 ten minutes before final shooting time. Second most physical demanding hunt I have been on. If not for being in a gobbler lounger i could have not done it. maybe I just got lucky they came back. However i'm a believer now.
Thanks, RP

tomstopper

Thanks guys. This proves my point that each persons spot is different based on # of birds, pressure, food etc. In my spot I can say that the same spots are used often but not always by the same exact birds. I think the biggest factor is pressure. I wouldnt want to sleep in my same bed every night if I kept getting disturbed & I am betting the turkeys feel the same way. Maybe now my coworkers will change the subject........ :z-guntootsmiley:

jwhunter

i think it depends on what part of the country you live in and what the terrain looks like. i have hunted in Nebraska and the terrain was very open. hundreds of acres would surround a 10-15 acre shelter belt and the turkeys would roost day in and day out in those areas. use the same trees. bc where else are they going to roost

where i hunt in Tennessee the terrain is big pines, cutover, hardwoods and pastures. where ever the hens roost the gobblers will roost with them. there are a few ridges that the turkeys willl constantly roost on. i do not believe a turkey has the brain power to say hey i like to roost in this certain tree. 

30_06

I know of several areas where the birds roost in the same couple of trees, and other areas where you might be lucky if they roost on the same mountain night after night.